Wane fired up by 'noises from Widnes'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane fired up by 'noises from Widnes'

Post by josie andrews »

SHAUN Wane has lit the touch paper for an explosive clash at Widnes – admitting he is using remarks from their camp to dial up the intensity.

He says he has been made aware of comments from the Vikings camp that they plan to ambush the Warriors with a confrontational approach.

And he has not shied away from admitting he making a “big thing” from their intentions as he prepares his players for the first of a crunch, three-game run-in.

“I know Widnes have earmarked this game for a win – but so have we. So I think it’s going to be full-on,” he said.

“The noises coming out of Widnes, they’ve pinpointed this as must-win.”

Widnes have plenty of ex-Warriors links and while he didn’t divulge precisely what he thinks has been said, he continued: “It’s just something I’ve heard that’s sneaked out of their camp a few times.

“I don’t know if they’ve meant to or not, but I’m making a big thing of it, definitely.

“We will be going there really keen, they’re going to be really physical with us – but we’re going to be physical with them.”

Widnes are coached by Wigan legend Denis Betts, and feature many players with ties to the Warriors.

Wane has previously used remarks from other camps to motivate his players – often to positive outcomes.

He has targeted three straight victories to give his side a chance of nudging ahead of St Helens at the top of the league, going into the play-offs.

And their hopes are boosted by the return from injury of hooker Mike McIlorum and centre Iain Thornley.

McIlorum broke his arm in a 48-4 win against the Vikings in June, while Thornley hasn’t featured since tearing his pectoral on Good Friday.

“Micky brings an unbelievable amount of energy, toughness, skill... he’s a bit boost for us,” he said.

“He’s ready for a good hit-out this weekend.

“Iain will more than likely play, and I expect him to start where he finished, he was intense, strong, skilful, and played very much like Anthony Gelling is now.”

He will name his 19-man squad today, promising a strong panel than the one which won 33-32 last year. The previous year, a weakened side lost by a point.

Asked whether it was a tricky venue for his side, Wane replied: “I left six or seven players out last time and we still won, so it’s a bit more tricky for Widnes when they can’t win when we’re six or seven players down.

“I’m approaching this differently, it’s really important in terms of putting us in a good position to win the league leaders.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6806926
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
KOOCH

Re: Wane fired up by 'noises from Widnes'

Post by KOOCH »

Did he not also huff and puff before the CC round against Cas saying much the same thing.
Do the business over the vikings then tell us how irritated he was by remarks coming from the vikings camp.
We don't need another egg on the face scenario as against Cas thank you very much.
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

This is true but the hype is the hype.
If he were to go on record saying this is going to be a bog standard win as its only would it make anyone want to rush out and buy a ticket?
Makes sense to try and dismiss the recent history of ennui & lethargy that we have seen in recent matches on the pitch and in the stands and try and gee everybody up with a bit of banter.
Just hope it works :wink:
Looking forward to seeing Micky Mc get fired up - missed that loads recently!
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

KaylaRobbo wrote:This is true but the hype is the hype.
If he were to go on record saying this is going to be a bog standard win as its only would it make anyone want to rush out and buy a ticket?
Makes sense to try and dismiss the recent history of ennui & lethargy that we have seen in recent matches on the pitch and in the stands and try and gee everybody up with a bit of banter.
Just hope it works :wink:
Looking forward to seeing Micky Mc get fired up - missed that loads recently!
Although I agree with what you are saying KR, Kooch has a good point IIRC Cas was not the only time the hype left us with egg on our faces Bratfurt and Wakey seem to ring a bell
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Now they are fired up too.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Its called mind games to get bums on seats, especially after the way some Widnes fans behaved at Leigh.
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:SHAUN Wane has lit the touch paper for an explosive clash at Widnes – admitting he is using remarks from their camp to dial up the intensity.

He says he has been made aware of comments from the Vikings camp that they plan to ambush the Warriors with a confrontational approach.

And he has not shied away from admitting he making a “big thing” from their intentions as he prepares his players for the first of a crunch, three-game run-in.

“I know Widnes have earmarked this game for a win – but so have we. So I think it’s going to be full-on,” he said.

“The noises coming out of Widnes, they’ve pinpointed this as must-win.”

Widnes have plenty of ex-Warriors links and while he didn’t divulge precisely what he thinks has been said, he continued: “It’s just something I’ve heard that’s sneaked out of their camp a few times.

“I don’t know if they’ve meant to or not, but I’m making a big thing of it, definitely.

“We will be going there really keen, they’re going to be really physical with us – but we’re going to be physical with them.”

Widnes are coached by Wigan legend Denis Betts, and feature many players with ties to the Warriors.

Wane has previously used remarks from other camps to motivate his players – often to positive outcomes.

He has targeted three straight victories to give his side a chance of nudging ahead of St Helens at the top of the league, going into the play-offs.

And their hopes are boosted by the return from injury of hooker Mike McIlorum and centre Iain Thornley.

McIlorum broke his arm in a 48-4 win against the Vikings in June, while Thornley hasn’t featured since tearing his pectoral on Good Friday.

“Micky brings an unbelievable amount of energy, toughness, skill... he’s a bit boost for us,” he said.

“He’s ready for a good hit-out this weekend.

“Iain will more than likely play, and I expect him to start where he finished, he was intense, strong, skilful, and played very much like Anthony Gelling is now.”

He will name his 19-man squad today, promising a strong panel than the one which won 33-32 last year. The previous year, a weakened side lost by a point.

Asked whether it was a tricky venue for his side, Wane replied: “I left six or seven players out last time and we still won, so it’s a bit more tricky for Widnes when they can’t win when we’re six or seven players down.

“I’m approaching this differently, it’s really important in terms of putting us in a good position to win the league leaders.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6806926
Seem to have heard this before.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

This is my main problem with Wane, he relies too much on this emotional engagement - lets face it this game means absolutely jack as do the rest of the games before the play offs start. if you want to play the emotional card do it in games that matter otherwise its unsustainable.

Bums on seats? theyd be better off doing some form a ticket deal than getting wane spouting a load of absolute tosh
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Its called mind games to get bums on seats, especially after the way some Widnes fans behaved at Leigh.
We know what it's called.But mind games to get bums on seats does not win you games the players win you games.And no amount of huffing and puffing and being on the end of a beating tells me it's best to keep ones gob shut.Do the talking on the field then posters can't come onto forums and slag you off if it all goes tits up as at Cas,Wakey,and as pointed out bradford.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

KOOCH wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Its called mind games to get bums on seats, especially after the way some Widnes fans behaved at Leigh.
We know what it's called.But mind games to get bums on seats does not win you games the players win you games.And no amount of huffing and puffing and being on the end of a beating tells me it's best to keep ones gob shut.Do the talking on the field then posters can't come onto forums and slag you off if it all goes tits up as at Cas,Wakey,and as pointed out bradford.
MMM, unless I am mistaken the game is at Widnes so your suggestion re motive WW is pointless to Wigan; worse it could motivate the opposition and damage our next home attendance if we were to lose.

I wish Wane would minimise his press interactions. Let's do our 'talking' on the pitch.