'Home' game on the road?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
HGWarrior

'Home' game on the road?

Post by HGWarrior »

http://www.totalrl.com/wigan-home-game- ... ogressing/

Wigan Warriors could take a game on the road to London as early as this year, as chairman Ian Lenagan confirmed to local media that talks about a switch are “progressing”.

The Warriors are keen to switch one of their home matches from the DW Stadium to London, with potential grounds like QPR’s Loftus Road or Fulham’s Craven Cottage suggested as venues.

And Lenagan admitted that discussions are ongoing with the game’s governing body about a move this season.

“I would say my confidence that it will happen this year is at 65 per cent right now.

“The discussions will take a while with the RFL, but it’s progressing.

“A game is only part of our overall ambition to expand our profile in and around London. It’s an important market for us.”

Thoughts anyone?

Who will pay season ticket holders fare to get to this 'home' game?

I can't make the fans' forum tonight - maybe someone can ask the question
The future's bright

The future's Cherry & White!!!!!
Wandering Warrior

Re: 'Home' game on the road?

Post by Wandering Warrior »

No doubt the ST holders will have their disruption considered!?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wandering Warrior wrote:No doubt the ST holders will have their disruption considered!?!
Oh at least 15% back on the season ticket I am sure Mr L will be offering to compensate for the increased cost of getting to this home match. NOT.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
jobo

Post by jobo »

HGWarrior wrote:http://www.totalrl.com/wigan-home-game- ... ogressing/

Wigan Warriors could take a game on the road to London as early as this year, as chairman Ian Lenagan confirmed to local media that talks about a switch are “progressing”.

The Warriors are keen to switch one of their home matches from the DW Stadium to London, with potential grounds like QPR’s Loftus Road or Fulham’s Craven Cottage suggested as venues.

And Lenagan admitted that discussions are ongoing with the game’s governing body about a move this season.

“I would say my confidence that it will happen this year is at 65 per cent right now.

“The discussions will take a while with the RFL, but it’s progressing.

“A game is only part of our overall ambition to expand our profile in and around London. It’s an important market for us.”

Thoughts anyone?

Who will pay season ticket holders fare to get to this 'home' game?

I can't make the fans' forum tonight - maybe someone can ask the question
With 10,000 plus season ticket holders, paying fares to London will be expensive. I suppose that is one of the topics up for discussion with the RL. The other potential bone of contention is season ticket holders who do not wish to travel and how they will be compensated. I wouldn't expect any hard and fast answers at a fans forum, even if the question is asked.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

ian.birchall wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:No doubt the ST holders will have their disruption considered!?!
Oh at least 15% back on the season ticket I am sure Mr L will be offering to compensate for the increased cost of getting to this home match. NOT.
!5%? It's one game in 14 or 15.
If we make the top 4 it's in effect a free game anyway. I don't have a problem with the concept at all. It's all about getting the Wigan Warriors brand out into the market and the next thing to do is get some of our development team down there. Somewhere down there is another Offiah, Sarginson, Clubb etc.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

No straw damn us wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
If we make the top 4 it's in effect a free game anyway. I don't have a problem with the concept at all. It's all about getting the Wigan Warriors brand out into the market and the next thing to do is get some of our development team down there. Somewhere down there is another Offiah, Sarginson, Clubb etc.
Yes it is only one game! But it's one game I've paid for!!
Perhaps it may be two games next year?
Why wait till a fortnight before the start of the season before bringing it up and when most buying ST'S will have paid up?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
homer s

Post by homer s »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
ian.birchall wrote: Oh at least 15% back on the season ticket I am sure Mr L will be offering to compensate for the increased cost of getting to this home match. NOT.
Yes it is only one game! But it's one game I've paid for!!
Perhaps it may be two games next year?
Why wait till a fortnight before the start of the season before bringing it up and when most buying ST'S will have paid up?
you've not really paid for it! all you're guaranteed in your season ticket price is 14 home games. they need to finish in the top 4 to have 15 home games and its this match that would be played elsewhere, this was said with the season ticket renewals.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If it does happen I hope the game will be on a Saturday and not Friday night.
Travelling by train is far less expensive on a Saturday and if it's a Friday night then there are no trains that late back home, at least for me.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

If cockneys want to watch a SL team then they need to back and support London Broncos into returning to SL. London is a big failure and the fact that we actually have 1 rugby game a season where around 50-60k fans travel to the game should be more than enough.

If we play against a side in the top 8 and lose that game which should have been our home game and we miss top 4 by 2,points this is going to look foolish.

Another daft idea to keep ppl in a city that do not real want RL happy.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

I don't think this idea is about giving Londoners a chance to watch rugby league it's to raise Wigans profile/accessibility in order to gain investment and 'partners'. Much like top FC's touring Asia. It's not a bad thing, especially if any investments help fund our youth development, world class training facilities etc.
I am a season ticket holder and have no problem with this. Season ticket sales alone do not fund our great club.