NRL season opener 2016 Wembley

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
kitt green warriors

NRL season opener 2016 Wembley

Post by kitt green warriors »

They tried to organise it for this year with the Broncs and Souths being over there but couldn't manage it, but it's looking likely according to reports

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/ ... m-in-2016/

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/sout ... 3hnv5.html[/url]
I always knew that I liked this place, you don't have to look to far to find a friendly face, I feel alive when I'm walking on this street, I feel the heart of this city pounding underneath my feet, yeah if the world keeps spinning round and round this is were it all goes down,down,down, THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS TOWN!.
Bon Jovi "Lost Highway" 2007
Owd Codger

Re: NRL season opener 2016 Wembley

Post by Owd Codger »

Surely, it should be the two Grand Finalists from this coming season as one or the other or even both might not have a good season, especially when the NRL is more open than our League.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

If it happens then ill be over moon but we have been there before with bringing nrl or origin games over here but nothing bappened
IN WANE WE TRUST
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

If it happens hope the RFL have bugger all to do with it. Let the NRL publicity machine take full control
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

I can't see it working.
Yes id love to see the NRL opener (or any regular season match) played in England.
Would I fork out on travel, accommodation, tickets costs etc. for what would be, to a Wigan/England (and now defunct GB team) a meaningless game played down south, then no.
If it were to be played at Old Trafford, The Etihad or such like then yes, I'd be there.
I'm sure the reason that the Magic Weekend has been more successful in the last few years is due to the location.
If I sound like a selfish Northener wanting to keep League up north then that is not the case. I do believe in expansion. I also believe in dipping my toe in the water before I jump in.
It could flop in London. It would, I'm sure, be a bonanza in the league heartlands.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If it was a Saturday afternoon fixture then Wembley could be done in a day.
If they announce it with over 3 months notice, train tickets bought that far in advance are usually very reasonably priced.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The booze hound wrote:I can't see it working.
Yes id love to see the NRL opener (or any regular season match) played in England.
Would I fork out on travel, accommodation, tickets costs etc. for what would be, to a Wigan/England (and now defunct GB team) a meaningless game played down south, then no.
If it were to be played at Old Trafford, The Etihad or such like then yes, I'd be there.
I'm sure the reason that the Magic Weekend has been more successful in the last few years is due to the location.
If I sound like a selfish Northener wanting to keep League up north then that is not the case. I do believe in expansion. I also believe in dipping my toe in the water before I jump in.
It could flop in London. It would, I'm sure, be a bonanza in the league heartlands.
I agree with you that it should be played here in the North.

Down South, they are now only interested in Union, especially as that code is now fully professional at club level and has a Premiership.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

You see to be forgetting theres a lot ex pats from australia down london who will probably interested
IN WANE WE TRUST
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

eccywarrior wrote:You see to be forgetting theres a lot ex pats from australia down london who will probably interested
Not that many to now attract a massive attendance!
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

eccywarrior wrote:You see to be forgetting theres a lot ex pats from australia down london who will probably interested
Enough interested to fill Wembley?
Recently watching an interview with the chairman of the EPL on the bidding wars for the rights to show live Premier League football, he stated that part of the reason that makes the EPL so attractive on television is having full stadia.
Would a half full Wembley give the impression to the casual television viewer that they are watching an event that is worth attending? A half full Wembley wouldn't help generate further interest or sponsorship.