wigan camp

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

wigan camp

Post by Suzieb »

something is telling me all is not well in the camp
menpond

Re: wigan camp

Post by menpond »

you dont say. Been brewing for 12 months now.The double papered over the cracks.,and of course reinforced Wanes god like belief in his managerial style.
mp
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

God wrote:The posters who have been slagged off on here have said this for a long time. Wane ball is killing Wigan RL.

I stand by my statement, Wane should have been relieved of his duties after not winning a single thing last year.
I am not defending Wane, but by that comment, are you suggesting that every coach of Wigan should be sacked if we do not win a single trophy in a season.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

God wrote:With the talent of the current squad at there disposal there is grounds for dismissal yes.
This is a golden era for talent and players across virtually every position, there should be no excuse for failure given the current squad if coached correctly.

Winning nothing last year shows me an inept coach unable to adapt to current playing styles and or closing games out.
I did not ask about last season, just a simple question asking if any Wigan Coach did not win a trophy in a season, do you want them all to be sacked.

As for last season, we should have won the Grand Final but for what took place in the first few minutes and you can hardly blame Wane or indeed any Coach for that dsfeat.

We may be best and most well known club in the game but it does not give us a divine right to win a trophy every season.

Even God cannot do that!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mickw wrote:What happened to the change of style which was muted this season,
the three games I've seen I only see the same style being played by a less talented team.
You mean playing with their socks up or down. :wink: Same style so called subtle differences. Oddly, the style never changes according to the weather conditions or pitch conditions. Even back in the day they used to consider those variables.

Lions led by a donkey!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
God wrote:With the talent of the current squad at there disposal there is grounds for dismissal yes.
This is a golden era for talent and players across virtually every position, there should be no excuse for failure given the current squad if coached correctly.

Winning nothing last year shows me an inept coach unable to adapt to current playing styles and or closing games out.
I did not ask about last season, just a simple question asking if any Wigan Coach did not win a trophy in a season, do you want them all to be sacked.
You can't ask such a simple question without considering why they didn't win anything.

It's pretty obvious given both major trophies are knockouts the "best" side in the league can be undone on the day and if that were Wigan it would be churlish to sack the coach if that happened one season after success previously. If the side is competing you can't really justify a sacking after one trophyless season.

This season however is a big one for Wane. He has got to improve the way the team is playing and if it lurches to an outside top 4 finish and doesn't get to a final then the fact he got to a final in 2014 and won the double previously should not be enough to save him.

When we were dumped out of the cup last season he was out-coached, Chester by the sounds of it outsmarted him at HKR and Betts didn't do a bad job on him at Widnes either.

He needs to improve and take the team forward but it looks to be going backwards and it did last year as well despite getting to the GF.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

God wrote:I agree in some respects Dave with what you say, but the buck clearly stops with the coach IMO. People may argue and say " It's not the coach who drops the ball" but in truth it is with the way we play and the fatigue of the players, the attacking patterns etc.

It may be churlish to relieve a coach who doesn't win a trophy in a season,but in the past IMO, we are looking at a golden era of players if we at least don't win the league it is a travesty and last season was just that. Forget the KO competitions, this set of players should have strolled the league last year and then some but we loose to teams we should have blown out of the water.

And it is starting to go In the same direction this season but in actual fact worse. I still don't know what he has done to Liam Farrell he is shoddy at best this season.
I tend to agree with regard to Wane and I was trying to make a general point that if we looked the business but got tripped up in a knockout final that would not be a reason to ditch the coach if it meant a trophyless season.

You could argue we got to the GF last year despite Wane's tactics not because of them and a short playoff series allows you to cover up what went on before.

Some would argue what went on before was irrelevant and it was all designed to come together at the end but I have never agreed with that stance as the players aren't out there deliberately taking it easy when they lose to a poor side but have themselves played poorly and you never deliberately set out to be rubbish.

I also agree you can't just blame the players. If you can the coaches job is redundant because if he has so little influence then he isn't responsible for the good stuff either.

As others have pointed doubt we have the worst record in the league after three games for penalties and our ball retention is also rubbish. He needs to sort these issues out as they are not one-offs and it is his job to do it.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I agree with a lot of this thread, but not with God who is saying that the quality of our squad is so much higher than the rest of the competition that we should be walking SL.

The squad Madge had was way higher quality that the one we have now. In fact, I'd say this years squad is the worst we'd had since then. There maybe potential in the youngsters, but until they've actually achieved that potential it means nothing.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Very true Mike, all across the board we had better players then than five years later. Also, let's not forget that this was a side Noble cobbled together. I was delighted when wane got the job but now I'm disillusioned about his or Wigan's future. I fearhe's been left behind by people who don't see brutality in training as the way forward. Surely kicking lumps off your team mates isn't a form of discipline pro league players need. As for Farrell, well, to tell him he's an enforcer was the best way to get him a hard time on the pitch. There are always players who say "so you're a hard man now eh?, cop for this then" BANG, he doesn't want to know, lies on, knocks on, out of position, but Wane leaves him on because he's an enforcer. Wane will never change his ideas or system, he's yesterdays man, out of ideas and almost, just almost out of time.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

bill.inger wrote:Very true Mike, all across the board we had better players then than five years later. Also, let's not forget that this was a side Noble cobbled together. I was delighted when wane got the job but now I'm disillusioned about his or Wigan's future. I fearhe's been left behind by people who don't see brutality in training as the way forward. Surely kicking lumps off your team mates isn't a form of discipline pro league players need. As for Farrell, well, to tell him he's an enforcer was the best way to get him a hard time on the pitch. There are always players who say "so you're a hard man now eh?, cop for this then" BANG, he doesn't want to know, lies on, knocks on, out of position, but Wane leaves him on because he's an enforcer. Wane will never change his ideas or system, he's yesterdays man, out of ideas and almost, just almost out of time.
Absolutely agree.