Re: okay

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TV Warrior

Post by TV Warrior »

I've watched Wigan go in to a game v Saints in worse shape and win, and go in as clear favourites and lose. It might be a cliche but its one because it rings true most of the time. Derbies take care of themselves. While I might have some misgivens about the state of the club and some of the coaches decisions I don't think there is anybody who could get a Wigan team more up for a game v them. My only caveat is you don't want to become a club that measures yourself in games v your rival rather than trophies won. Even for one season.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TV Warrior wrote:I've watched Wigan go in to a game v Saints in worse shape and win, and go in as clear favourites and lose. It might be a cliche but its one because it rings true most of the time. Derbies take care of themselves. While I might have some misgivens about the state of the club and some of the coaches decisions I don't think there is anybody who could get a Wigan team more up for a game v them. My only caveat is you don't want to become a club that measures yourself in games v your rival rather than trophies won. Even for one season.
You say he will get Wigan up for the Saints game.

Then why not get them up for every game. Reason Alex Ferguson was so successful was that every game for him was a derby and their biggest game of the season. Whilst for everyone else Man U was their biggest game of the season.

Even if we do beat Saints does not hide the fact so far we are Crap.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

thegimble wrote:
TV Warrior wrote:I've watched Wigan go in to a game v Saints in worse shape and win, and go in as clear favourites and lose. It might be a cliche but its one because it rings true most of the time. Derbies take care of themselves. While I might have some misgivens about the state of the club and some of the coaches decisions I don't think there is anybody who could get a Wigan team more up for a game v them. My only caveat is you don't want to become a club that measures yourself in games v your rival rather than trophies won. Even for one season.

Then why not get them up for every game. Reason Alex Ferguson was so successful was that every game for him was a derby and their biggest game of the season. Whilst for everyone else Man U was their biggest game of the season.

We had a game against 'them' recently and he did a cracking job of getting the men up for that one!

Are we going to get the same unintelligent drivel - hatered, daughters & boyfriends etc.?
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I agree we are playing poor, but lets get behind the team and let try to spur them on, how quiet have we as fans been so far this year? I ve not missed a game and agree weve not had much too shout about but lets make some noise and let the team know we are behind them no matter what
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I can't see any reason why we can't win bot games, and hope we do so. "all" it requires is for the players to reach the standards of which we know they are capable.
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

sc74 wrote:
thegimble wrote:

We had a game against 'them' recently and he did a cracking job of getting the men up for that one!

Are we going to get the same unintelligent drivel - hatered, daughters & boyfriends etc.?
Help me out. I don't get the last line..... :(
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

cumbria_warrior wrote:I agree we are playing poor, but lets get behind the team and let try to spur them on, how quiet have we as fans been so far this year? I ve not missed a game and agree weve not had much too shout about but lets make some noise and let the team know we are behind them no matter what
Agree - I think we can be dire as an audible fan base & also think there's a lot of reasoning behind why all other teams talk about the 'Wigan Walk' when things aren't going our way.
I think the 'quiet' does have an amount of impact on the game play but can see the logic behind not having a lot to shout about too.
What is the solution? How do we fix it & see if we can help the lads along? We always manage to pull something off at Derbys so how do we keep the singing/chanting going when we're crashing & burning like some of the fans of other bottom of the league teams do?
Even when there are only 200 away fans in the North Stand and they have no chance of coming back they are still louder than us.. :eh:
sc74

Post by sc74 »

KaylaRobbo wrote:
sc74 wrote:
thegimble wrote: You say he will get Wigan up for the Saints game.

Help me out. I don't get the last line..... :(
Comments he made about if his daughters ever brought home a lad from St Helens.
Extremely cringeworthy, and part of the reason everyone wants to see Wigan lose.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

There was a great atmosphere at the Brisbane game and that was in my view despite the mistakes because the lads gave it a real go.

It could have been with mistakes like Budgies that the atmosphere died as we expected to witness another lacklustre performance. That didn't happen and the effort was there.

We didn't win obviously but I enjoyed it far more than the Hull game and I bet I am not the only one.

The crowd responds to what it sees on the pitch and in many ways is as nervous as the players. We are expecting cock ups and mistakes and when they occur but are in conjuction with half baked performances from players (particularly some senior players) I think you are going to have a hard time getting the crowd going.

As to getting behind the team doesn't everyone do that at the match? The relative silence is born out of nerves and what is seen on the pitch. This place is the after match discussion and so the performances get dissected. No one wants us to lose.

As mentioned elsewhere the performance v Wakey is very important and if it is not up to scratch I don't expect it will lead anyone to stop stating the obvious.

If it is much better, there will be relief all round.