Winstanley

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Mase

Winstanley

Post by Mase »

I come in peace!

Basically I'm looking to buy a house with my girlfriend (both first time buyers with £15k deposit saved and a mortgage in principle in place) she lives in Golborne and I'm from Bury so we're basically looking Golborne/Lowton way, however we've got a few viewings at some properties in Winstanley tomorrow but neither of us know what the area is like. Any from there or lived there previously? Or anyone know the area well?? We're planning to stay there for the next 20+ years so we'll be bringing kids up there. Is it nice place for kids to grow up?

Any help much appreciated :D
cpwigan

Re: Winstanley

Post by cpwigan »

Well I think you would be in the catchment area of Hawkley Hall High School which is an OUTSTANDING school. You obviously have the OUTSTANDING Winstanley College too.

Nicer place than Golborne/Lowton IMO. I think Winstanley depending on which part was historically an area many from Merseyside migrated to.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mase wrote:I come in peace!

Basically I'm looking to buy a house with my girlfriend (both first time buyers with £15k deposit saved and a mortgage in principle in place) she lives in Golborne and I'm from Bury so we're basically looking Golborne/Lowton way, however we've got a few viewings at some properties in Winstanley tomorrow but neither of us know what the area is like. Any from there or lived there previously? Or anyone know the area well?? We're planning to stay there for the next 20+ years so we'll be bringing kids up there. Is it nice place for kids to grow up?

There are some better area's in Wigan to live than Winstanley and better schools than Hawkley Hall.

Be very careful in your selection.
Mase

Post by Mase »

Thanks for your replies.

We both work on Birchwood Park just outside of Warringon so we didn't want to go North Wigan if we could help it. Someone mentioned Parbold as a nice area. Is there any other nice areas?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I work the entire WN area and wherever I go, I'd say 99+% of the people are excellent.
I would have no qualms about Winstanley at all and I'm amazed that it should be denigrated by anyone hailing from Whelley!
Parbold is very 'Midsomer' on the surface but it has its problems, not least a WN8 postcode which will bang your insurance costs up!

Have you looked at Appley Bridge?
sc74

Post by sc74 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Mase wrote:I come in peace!

There are some better area's in Wigan to live than Winstanley and better schools than Hawkley Hall.

Be very careful in your selection.
If CP had said they were awful schools would you have said how good they are?
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I don't know about you sc74 I,m getting a bit cheesed off with their childishness.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

I shouldn't bite, it's a failing on my part.

OP - I would most certainly take the advice of a former teacher over someone who appears to have a dislike for teachers/education per se.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Golborne/Lowton is about to become a building site if all the planned new homes get the go ahead. Plus the HS2 - West Coast Mainline link is going to chop right through Lowton if it goes ahead. There are some new homes being built right now up near the swing bridge on the old Plank Lane Colliery site not great way outside of lowton, right by the canal and Pennington Flash; which is handy if you like to have access to that sort of stuff on a short walk.

No idea.what the school situation is as it is a long, long time since that stuff was in my consciousness
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

A nice place. I have 4 friends who live in different parts of Winstanley. They are lovely people and so are the people around them. Like every area in the country you will get a bad element. Just trust your own judgement. There is no better way.