A Teams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

A Teams

Post by Suzieb »

IMO the worst thing they did was to get rid of the A teams to many players going out of the game because theres no were for them to play,The A teams used to feed the 1st team but i think its a big ask for the under 19,s to step up youhave to be a super star to go straight in the 1st team does anyone agree
cpwigan

Re: A Teams

Post by cpwigan »

Very much but there are a growing number of clubs favouring a return
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Suzieb wrote:IMO the worst thing they did was to get rid of the A teams to many players going out of the game because theres no were for them to play,The A teams used to feed the 1st team but i think its a big ask for the under 19,s to step up youhave to be a super star to go straight in the 1st team does anyone agree
If I remember rightly it was Gary Hethrington who instigated this.

It was seen as a cost cutting measure but also a way to stop clubs like Wigan hoarding players in the A team i.e. reserve players who were good enough to be first team players elsewhere.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The best format was the Under 21's with clubs allow to play a number of over age fringe or players coming back from injury.

The problem with the old open age 'A' teams was that some of the older players were not of first team quality and just played for the money to make up the number required for a team.

In my opinion the Under 21's should be re-introduced with clubs allowed to play four over aged players, the Under 19's reduced to Under 18's and the Under 16's scrapped.

Young players should only be allowed to play for the Senior clubs when they reach the age of 16 and until they reach that age, the signed players should continue to play with their Amateur clubs but do training at the Senior Club to prepare them for the step up to the higher level.

Just a opinion based on the shambles we have at present time with many players in the game on short and long term loans, dual registrations and players not knowing which team they are playing in from one weeks end to another.

Just my opinion on improving the game at all levels.

platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I fully agree with your post WW,if supporters like us can see that huge mistake made by Hetherington and Co has affected all clubs.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Sounds like a good plan to me. I would retain the scholarship teams though. Just play a max of 6 games a season though and try not to clash with amateur teams matches.

Won't happen because of cost cutting though. IL ain't going to vote for bringing back U21s if everyone is in the same boat as us and we are better placed than everyone else in this situation.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WE have lost so many young players to the sport because of the lack of academy competitions to play in & thru this ridiculous one academy competition we will lose a lot more players.

I'm not saying they would all make it in SL but if it continues, the lower competitions are bound to suffer eventually as there will be no new young talent available to play for them! IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

platt-warrior wrote:I fully agree with your post WW,if supporters like us can see that huge mistake made by Hetherington and Co has affected all clubs.
Thank you, Platt Warrior!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

On this even I can find some common ground with WW. A good reasoned post.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

KOOCH wrote:On this even I can find some common ground with WW. A good reasoned post.
Thank you, Kooch.