Re: Lenegan not happy with Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

Not sure how feel about this,chairman should be seen and not heard in my book,let alone making sarkie comments about departing players,he's entitled to make a living and felt undervalued by the offer he moved on simple as,keep those thoughts private in my book
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

gruffy wrote:Not sure how feel about this,chairman should be seen and not heard in my book,let alone making sarkie comments about departing players,he's entitled to make a living and felt undervalued by the offer he moved on simple as,keep those thoughts private in my book
Agree. Presumably Wigan offer was not as much as Hull KR offer as IL carping he thinks money is most important.
Says a man with oodles and no chance of losing his livelihood with his next game.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

gruffy wrote:Not sure how feel about this,chairman should be seen and not heard in my book,let alone making sarkie comments about departing players,he's entitled to make a living and felt undervalued by the offer he moved on simple as,keep those thoughts private in my book
I've no problem with what IL has said regarding Thornleys departure. From what I gather Iain has walked away from Wigan for a slightly better offer than Wigan put on the table. Being no more than potential, (injury prone potential at that) and the club being loyal and patient with him, he has walked away after repaying none of the faith or time or effort put into him. I'd understand Iain joining KR if their offer was much greater than Wigans but IL says the offers were similair.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The booze hound wrote:
I've no problem with what IL has said regarding Thornleys departure. From what I gather Iain has walked away from Wigan for a slightly better offer than Wigan put on the table. Being no more than potential, (injury prone potential at that) and the club being loyal and patient with him, he has walked away after repaying none of the faith or time or effort put into him. I'd understand Iain joining KR if their offer was much greater than Wigans but IL says the offers were similair.
Ungrateful springs to mind, No need for players like that, Good riddance IMO
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

IL says they offered him a similar deal to what he was on.
If he can get more money then that's IT's perogative, what would IL do in the same situation?
Perhap's if IL is jossed off with Thornley he can console himself with jossing some fans off with his Millwall jolly!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

When we complain the club fails the retain players people leap to the clubs defence saying it's the players livelihood and what would you do if you were made a better offer?

Now when a player does just that but IL takes umbrage, the player is in the wrong. :eusa17:

You couldn't make it up!

Maybe what has irked IL is the realisation that the next contract really is a monetary transaction for some players and Wigan can't rely on reputation to keep players here. Wigan will have to actually outbid other clubs to retain players.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

DaveO wrote:When we complain the club fails the retain players people leap to the clubs defence saying it's the players livelihood and what would you do if you were made a better offer?

Now when a player does just that but IL takes umbrage, the player is in the wrong. :eusa17:

You couldn't make it up!

Maybe what has irked IL is the realisation that the next contract really is a monetary transaction for some players and Wigan can't rely on reputation to keep players here. Wigan will have to actually outbid other clubs to retain players.
This exactly

Can anyone here honestly say that despite being treated well by the company you work for, that you'd not move for more money if the conditions we similar. Hull KR are hardly poor and id rather be playing for them than salford.

In the past I stayed with a company to get all my training and experience. Once id got it I started my own business - Why? Money was much better and I could spend more time with my family.

Why is it wrong for Ian to do the same?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Don't Lenegan's comments also imply that he expected Thornley to stay? If this is the case shouldn't we be signing a replacement?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

He said that Williams and Hampshire are in his plans #
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

DaveO wrote:When we complain the club fails the retain players people leap to the clubs defence saying it's the players livelihood and what would you do if you were made a better offer?

You couldn't make it up!

That's fine but if you've been off sick for two years on full pay and then left your boss would probably be a little upset. I don't blame Thornley, he's taken up a better offer. Should Wigan have matched or bettered it is the question that needs to be asked. I'd be in the no column.