DW Input

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ron

DW Input

Post by Ron »

In the supplement of tonight's WEP titled Rags to Riches, it is reported that when asked, DW said he had put an estimated £15 - £20 million into Latics plus he intends to match the £20m for getting into the premiership; and the massive total of £2 million into buying Rugby's debenture vouchers. I don't know what is meant by debenture vouchers but I do understand the difference between £35 - £40m and £2m.
Where does DW's priorities lie? Certainly not with Rugby League unless he has been limited, somehow, in the amount he is able to invest with us.
DaveO

Re: DW Input

Post by DaveO »

Ron posted:
In the supplement of tonight's WEP titled Rags to Riches, it is reported that when asked, DW said he had put an estimated £15 - £20 million into Latics plus he intends to match the £20m for getting into the premiership; and the massive total of £2 million into buying Rugby's debenture vouchers. I don't know what is meant by debenture vouchers but I do understand the difference between £35 - £40m and £2m.
Where does DW's priorities lie? Certainly not with Rugby League unless he has been limited, somehow, in the amount he is able to invest with us.
The £2m is how much it cost to buy debenture stock off existing shareholders. I dare say he paid something to buy Latics whe he first took over and I bet given they were a none league side in those days it oculd have been much less then £2m.

The £20m is what he has had to invest to get them into the premiership. Soccer is an expensive buisiness, ask Abramovics at Chelsea.

The extra £20m he will invest might buy him one class player or a couple of decent ones.

It is just a fact of life soccer is a mad place money wise.

Dave
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

does the salary cap not limit the amount of dosh you can put into the warriors. tbh i think DW does his best for both clubs and human nature would make it hard for him not to be up beat on the latics at the moment. i,m sure if there was no salary cap DW would throw a few mill to us
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
Ron posted:
The £2m is how much it cost to buy debenture stock off existing shareholders. I dare say he paid something to buy Latics whe he first took over and I bet given they were a none league side in those days it oculd have been much less then £2m.

The £20m is what he has had to invest to get them into the premiership. Soccer is an expensive buisiness, ask Abramovics at Chelsea.

The extra £20m he will invest might buy him one class player or a couple of decent ones.

It is just a fact of life soccer is a mad place money wise.

Dave
I know this is not a Rugby reply but i heard this on either Sky or BBC after the football yesterday. They mentioned that DW was ploughing in £20-25 million and the reply was it takes a lot of money to survive. But this was the clinchere. He might not be able to attract top quality to Wigan. DW in the last 2 weeks said that foreing players were lazy so make you woinder what he will get.
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

Dave Whelan, always was, and always will be a soccer man, he played in an FA cup final at Wembley for Blackburn. He has always been interested in SL, but thats all it is, an interest, he stepped in when we where in dire straights and saved us from obscurity (we did'nt have a ground either).
After all this, he has never had the type of backing from the supporters from the Warriors fans, as he gets from the Latics fans, who adore him !!!
Can you blame him for not giving us his full backing, when we don't give him ours ??????

:angry:
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Of course.

Warriors were a great team even before Whelan, Latics weren't so anyone witha bit of money that comes along and says Ill help you is obviously going to get their backing, and when he puts his all into the sport he loves and gets results of course they're gonna love him even more. Funny thing is, what if in 3 years time they're in the sort of position we are, will someone like you be on the Latics board with a name like We_need_a_chairman? Because it is near enough the same type of situation.
Someone who has once done so much for our club is now not getting the backing of you.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

MrsLam posted:
Of course.

Warriors were a great team even before Whelan, Latics weren't so anyone witha bit of money that comes along and says Ill help you is obviously going to get their backing, and when he puts his all into the sport he loves and gets results of course they're gonna love him even more. Funny thing is, what if in 3 years time they're in the sort of position we are, will someone like you be on the Latics board with a name like We_need_a_chairman? Because it is near enough the same type of situation.
Someone who has once done so much for our club is now not getting the backing of you.
:eusa2:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing