Team Selection v Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Team Selection v Saints

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Did Waney get it right? Was our bench good enough?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
mikey

Re: Team Selection v Saints

Post by mikey »

Simple answer NO waney took a punt on gelling and got what he deserved not the smartest move Wigans game management especially against stains has to be so tight .Come what may 2 games against whoever to sort it still think we will get to O.T
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd have put Gelling in at right centre with Bateman left centre, Gildart to miss out.
Having Gelling off the bench and into the pack then to centre was a disaster.
Powell from the bench to sub MM didn't work last season and hasn't worked this year either. The one away result which suprised us all was the 0-28 at Wire. For that game Williams moved from 6 to 9 when MM went off and Hampshire came from the bench into 6. That worked brilliantly so of course it hasn't been tried since.
MM's sub has to be a player who's up to the pace of the game so he has to start then move to 9 as Williams did at Wire. Having 2 props and a 9 cold off the bench none of whom are up to the pace of the game is too much.
That's why we lose so much intensity.
Don't think SW will change his selection and team policy now so we'll all have to see how it goes.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Supporters keep on about Powell not being good enough, but surly we should we be more concerned about why Mcllorum hardly ever plays for a full game like other Hookers, especially when the position of Hooker today is not as physical as it used to be?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Supporters keep on about Powell not being good enough, but surly we should we be more concerned about why Mcllorum hardly ever plays for a full game like other Hookers, especially when the position of Hooker today is not as physical as it used to be?
Does he have a choice?

Seems to me wane would do anything to get Powell game time
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Supporters keep on about Powell not being good enough, but surly we should we be more concerned about why Mcllorum hardly ever plays for a full game like other Hookers, especially when the position of Hooker today is not as physical as it used to be?
Does he have a choice?

So are you saying that Mcllorum is capable of playing a full game or is a case that Wane knows or sees otherwise?

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Does he have a choice?

So are you saying that Mcllorum is capable of playing a full game or is a case that Wane knows or sees otherwise?

McIllorum has played the full 80 minutes and done it well.
Are you suggesting he isn't upto it now and that Sam Powell is the better option.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Selection shouldn't be based on favouritism or sentiment.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

MM is more than capable of playing the full 80, in fact when he does he plays better because in my opinion being interchanged disrupts him! That is my head ruling my heart by the way!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:MM is more than capable of playing the full 80, in fact when he does he plays better because in my opinion being interchanged disrupts him! That is my head ruling my heart by the way!!
I agree. When MMc is interviewed he always says he wants the full 80. If Shaun really is his mate and rates him so much, why does he ignore him?