Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Burgess

Post by nathan_rugby »

I know he hasn't been at his best the last few games but I really think we are going to miss him more than we realise.

Charnley and Dom are both good finishers, but none of them offer the threat burgess does out on the wing to make a line break or beat a defender with speed like he does.

Charnley and Dom will score 15+ each next season I have no doubt, but the loss of line breaks which leads to tries and field position really is going to effect us. Burgess has 13 try assists to his game compared to Charnley and Doms 1 and 2. That really does show the different type of players and game plans used. Farrell is therefore going to lose out on a number of tries/assists.

To put it into perspective Matty Smith is on 14 assists, Todd Carney is on 14 and Burgess is the 13th top assister in the league and Jake Connor of Hudds is the next winger in the assist list with 7 and is ranked 43rd.

Discuss.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Re: Burgess

Post by Caboosegg »

i disagree, yes we will miss him for his age he is very skillful, but we did alright before he came along and will do okay after.

and on the Loss of line breaks... i believe that is what they are relying on Tomkins for, i would also like to say alot of Budgies Breaks this season (not all) have partial come from the work of others (Bowen) and alot of his tries have come from kick collection (from williams kicks)

i am under no doubt that Burgess will be a loss he has shown this season he can only improve (defence has got alot better as season has gone on)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Anybody would miss the best winger in Super League. Budgie has the ability and pace to score from anywhere on the field and I cannot think of many more that fall into that category.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Good thing for is though we seem to score tries across the park. OK budgie is top draw, but unlike most teams we seem to score from anywhere (when we play well that is!!)
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

No doubt the Wigan Factory will have a replacement along in due course :)
robspark

Post by robspark »

PF Warrior wrote:No doubt the Wigan Factory will have a replacement along in due course :)
Yep... His name is Dom Manfredi... I hope he plays right wing though. :wink:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Anybody would miss the best winger in Super League. Budgie has the ability and pace to score from anywhere on the field and I cannot think of many more that fall into that category.
Josh could do that blindfolded at one time. He did it against Saints once having collected the ball from under his own sticks!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Burgess was struggling last night.
He might not be fit for Thursday the way it looked to me.
Manfredi can't be dropped after that performance so if Joe isn't fit then Waney has real selection problems.

After last night I wouldn't want to play Gildart against either Wardle or Cudjoe who were Hudds centres last night.
So who to play centre, well Bateman will be back for one slot so who to play the other?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Burgess was struggling last night.
Manfredi can't be dropped after that performance so if Joe isn't fit then Waney has real selection problems.

After last night I wouldn't want to play Gildart against either Wardle or Cudjoe who were Hudds centres last night.
So who to play centre, well Bateman will be back for one slot so who to play the other?
He was injured early in the Saints game but he has not really recovered from his enforced lay off a few weeks ago.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Burgess was struggling last night.

Gildart will play as like Wane says, his position to lose and no problem with who will be on the wings when you have three class wingers for two positions.

Our problem will be next season with who will back up Josh and Dom!