Positives for the season?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The booze hound

Positives for the season?

Post by The booze hound »

After being pipped at the post for both the LL Shield and in the GF, what, if any, positives can we take from this season?
I can't think of many positives but the establishment of Williams and Manfredi as genuine quality 1st team players who both have the potential to be stars is about all I've got to offer. Young Gildart will hopefully kick on another level next season after having a taste of 1st grade, and hes definitely let nobody down.
Owd Codger

Re: Positives for the season?

Post by Owd Codger »

It is our non Academy players that are the problem as with the exception of Bateman and Bowen, we need to have a higher standard of class from outside in the squad.

Hate to say it, but Leeds have in Briscoe, Moon, Cuthberson, Delaney, Garbett.

A better blend of experience with youth!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Developing youngsters bar that NOTHING!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Gildart, williams and Bateman are about the only positives i take from this year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:It is our non Academy players that are the problem as with the exception of Bateman and Bowen, we need to have a higher standard of class from outside in the squad.

Hate to say it, but Leeds have in Briscoe, Moon, Cuthberson, Delaney, Garbett.

A better blend of experience with youth!
Good grief, I agree with WW. I think I will have to lie down. :wink:

There seems a total resistance at Wigan to go out and sign quality players to address issues in the squad. Bar Tomkins unless they come on the cheap we don't sign them. We didn't even pay a fortune for Bateman. Clubb, Sarge and Flower were all for free IIRC.

We have a very large squad due to the production line and I do wonder if we spread the salary cap too thinly.

Of course the alternative is to release younger players to trim the size of the squad but do Leeds have so many in the first team squad? Several of ours named in the 30 odd we have hardly ever get a game so what good is that?

We have also been a bit obsessed with bringing players who have left back.

Did anyone think whether re-signing Mossop was a good idea based on the players merits? Or did we just do it so IL could prove a point?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Thank You, Dave O.

And like I have said before, our priority should be to sign a top class experienced Stand Off to allow Williams to play in his proper position of Scrum Half and a top class 'rugged' experienced Prop Forward, both players from down under.
craig87x

Post by craig87x »

NONE.

Another year of wasted time & money attending every domestic Wigan Warriors match for absolutely no reward.

I'll no doubt do it again next year though! Never learn, live in hope etc...

Now we know how Wire fans feel, bless 'em! (Well, not bless 'em, something else 'em beginning with F!)
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Positives - Manfredi, Gildart (some some promise, not yet convinced by any long shot compared to the excitment by most on here), Williams, Flower, Clubb, Bateman.

Negatives - Gelling's finish to the season, Smith, Charnley, Mossop, Tomkins.

Negatives - Poor and unforgiveable away record.

Positive - Unbeaten at home in the league for a full season.

Negative - Poor conversion rate, poor field kicking, look clueless close to opponents line.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."