Charnley & Sarginson to leave

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Charnley & Sarginson to leave

Post by josie andrews »

Think there may be a Nandos closer to the AJ Bell Stadium :wink: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:Think there's a bit more to it than simply Wane having Josh's card marked.

Got to say that losing top players like Josh, Joe and Scott Taylor along with the likes of Thornley and Goulding, looks to me that our management team need taking to task.

If you take Leeds and Warrington as examples, they don't seem to have the same trouble we have in retaining their best players.
I think you can see Leeds losing players

I would ask a more relevant question how do some clubs manage to fit X amount of players into such a paltry cap. Magical? Yet certain clubs who when you look seem to have a squad reflecting the cap (Salford) seems to be constantly harassed by the RFL. Recently, KC was quoted as saying that if Saints still had KC, Long, Sculthorpe etc the only way to fit them into the cap would be to have incredibly mediocre / poor player to make up the 17.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Charnley was rightly constructively criticised by Wane in my opinion as his form was not good enough at the time, as for him being forced out, well SW picking him every game and Josh playing very good RL again sort of contradicts that doesn't it?
You can't constructively criticise a player by doing so in public while at the same time ignoring the failings of the rest of team.

I don't think he was forced out but I do believe Wane's (demonstrable) poor attitude to Josh is a factor in why he isn't sticking around. Also if rumours of a drop in pay are true for a new contract, then while that isn't being forced out it's an open invitation to leave.

In any job if you are made to feel undervalued or a feel you are being unfairly treated you look to move on or if opportunities arise you consider them with far more interest than if you were happy in your work.

Club management re retention of players and man management is lacking in my opinion. It seems to act sluggishly when retaining players such as Budgie where he'd signed a deal before Wigan even got around to offering him one or it behaves rather arrogantly and assumes it can treat players poorly either by offering low wages or slagging them off in public.

The NRL or RU salaries are too convenient an excuse. If a player is content even if more money is on the table it is not automatic they will go for the cash in my opinion. Here we have a player going to RU just after Sam Burgess much publicised exit and he has no guarantee of success.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I suspect that Wane's "tough love" approach has played a part in Josh leaving. Money, challenge, higher profile in Union too, no doubt.
A top coach knows how to assess players characters & handle them accordingly. I'm generally supportive of SW but agree with many posters on this one.

These moves are also part of a pattern under IL, the business plan. It's hard to argue with against the reality of our cap compared with NRL & union. Doesn't make it easy to accept, though.

The worry is that we keep bringing good youngsters through but don't keep em long enough to develop a consistent trophy-winning team.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Premium

Post by Premium »

I'm not too bothered about these individuals moving on these things happen in every team its that I don't believe we can be losing out on every salary new contract negotiation

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I think Josh leaving for more money has a bigger part to play than his relationship with SW!! By the way I don't blame him for leaving for more money at all!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The SC differential is a reality and very relevant Dave. I will never blame a player for securing a better future from an incredibly short career.

I totally agree re Wane never focussing upon himself and blaming players, highlighting specific ones.

Not sure it will happen but Josh going to Union may be a good thing as physically in his time with us he may concentrate of his speed/agility even to the point of trimming some bulk and become an even better finisher rather than having to bulk up to play the role of a prop in his own 20.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:The SC differential is a reality and very relevant Dave. I will never blame a player for securing a better future from an incredibly short career.

I totally agree re Wane never focussing upon himself and blaming players, highlighting specific ones.

Not sure it will happen but Josh going to Union may be a good thing as physically in his time with us he may concentrate of his speed/agility even to the point of trimming some bulk and become an even better finisher rather than having to bulk up to play the role of a prop in his own 20.
How many coaches blame themselves publicly?

He might blame himself privately to the players during private meetings, unless you attend I suppose you will never know!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

BriH wrote:Let's hope IL et al have got some quality players to replace them.
Don't hold your breath! IL has a football team to run as well.
The usual rubbish that comes out re. new challenge has no need for rehearsal anymore.
On a different note, members never seem to get an email when it's bad news before the press release, I wonder why?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

I see the anti Wane crew are out in force again,saying that Josh has been made a scapegoat,but that is just what they are doing to Wane, making him the scapegoat for bad news. It really is bad news though.Iwish them both well but I hate it when players go to union where they are usually wasted or ruined forever.Remember the quote from Jonathon Davies"I never got cold in rugby league"