Castleford tonight

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Castleford tonight

Post by butt monkey »

Assuming no late withdrawal or shock selections this is the game the fans of Matty Smith (yes there are one or two of them I can guess) should expect to show he deserves his place in our first team.

The opposition full back should be Ryan Hampshire. Off-loaded as superfluous to our needs and now plying his trade in a position some fans claimed he was unwilling to play for Shaun Wane in.

I am expecting Smith to kick Hampshire "to death" in tonight's game. Any different and we have not only a coach unable to pick out opposition player's weaknesses but also continuing garbage kicking from Smith, must surely bring to an end his starting place at scrum half?

Hampshire shines and the naysayers will have a field day that we got rid of the wrong half back

Tonight should reveal plenty, especially after last weeks drubbing
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wandering Warrior

Re: Castleford tonight

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Unfortunately Smith is the only half back we have at the moment playing in his proper position. You're right it should be interesting tonight and if Smith has a mare and Hampshire is MOM don't go rushing to Fred's to bet on change cos you'll get Done!! :wink:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I think Smith is ok in a team that's playing well I do not think he can change a game. If I was the opposition coach I would target him, even more than a half is targeted normally. He drops off the odd tackle, which most half's do, but he also seems to make bad reads. I would love him to make the next step up and dominate, put us around the field and be a general. He's already done very well having been capped, won trophys/ medals and when noises came out about how hard he was training I really thought he may surprise a few including myself. Last season and this though he's seemed to stand still and not make the improvements I hoped for. No one would be happier than me if he was to prove me wrong but at the moment he seems to lack the ability to break the line, his passing off both sides is inconsistent, he can't seem to find a killer ball and his D is a constant worry.
The biggest problem is the one I thought his strongest....kicking, it's poor, from hand its frustrating at best and I think the goal kicking may be a reason for his poor general form? Maybe taking it off him would help? He seems to bare it like a weight around his neck.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

This is where Hampshire needs to show how amazingly fantastic he is
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Personally, I'll be hiding behind the sofa but will Hampshire be in the halves or at full-back?

Would be nice if we won against the odds but unlike with previous coaches, I worry that the team will be sent out to play in exactly the same way as always, instead of coming up with a new method to take account of the problems.

Just hope I'm wrong.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

After all that has happened in the past couple of weeks, that is a great win showing great character!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

God wrote:The end to our sets is embarassing. A very very poor standard, bored out of my tree.

Looking like a loss every day of the week this, unless somebody takes this game by the scruff.
Bateman.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Was the amazing Hampshire playing or did he get taken off?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:After all that has happened in the past couple of weeks, that is a great win showing great character!!
Especially given the results tonight a very good win considering the amount missing and amount still ill. Given what happened on Sunday that showed some guts in the side and proved that the Wakey score we down to illness.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Considering we only had four of our starting numbers on at kick off and one more on the bench it was a gutsy win. I don't think anyone played bad and second half Moose had his best game since he came back. Bateman deserving easily of MoM the Mrs said "if he wasn't on the field tonight I don't think we would have won that" and I think it about sums him up quality born to play RL.
Now Gregson I like him but what position? Well if I was anything to do with the lad I would be pushing him to 9. Could be very good from there in my opinion. He looks another on the small side for second row, he did well tonight but don't think he's a 6 but 9 could be a perfect fit.
Good tonight though.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!