Noble to Canada

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Pharabus

Noble to Canada

Post by Pharabus »

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... obk7i.html

This popped up on one of my feeds, have to admit as an ex-Pat over here I am intrigued, personally I think Noble would probably do ok raising the level of the game over here what do you guys think?
josie andrews

Re: Noble to Canada

Post by josie andrews »

Canadian team to join English rugby league set-up next year with Brian Noble signed up as director of rugby

Ambitious plans to introduce a Canadian team into the English domestic rugby league have been given the go-ahead.

Details of a Toronto-based club's admission to Kingstone Press League One, the third-tier of the professional game, from 2017 will be revealed at a launch in both Canada and the UK on Wednesday.

The plans, which have been two years in the making, will be unveiled in Toronto and linked by video to the Centre for Canadian Studies at the University of Leeds.

Former Great Britain boss Brian Noble, one of the most successful coaches in Super League following his stint at Bradford from 2000-06, will be confirmed as the new club's director of rugby, with ex-Leigh boss Paul Rowley becoming the first head coach.

The project, which is the brainchild of Canadian entrepreneur Eric Perez, has the official backing of the Rugby Football League and received overwhelming support from the clubs.

Perez, who produces a weekly rugby league show on Sportsnet World, is thought to be ready to quit his job as a marketing campaign manager to commit to the project.

The first Canadian trans-Atlantic pro sports team is expected to play home games at Lamport Stadium in blocks of three or four and go "on the road" for a similar length of time in the UK.

It is thought the team will initially be based in England and draw on players currently in the Championship and League One but the long-term aim will be to use players from the Canadian domestic competition and it could even become a stepping stone for a team in the United States to follow suit.

Both Canada and the US have international teams and the latter have qualified for the 2017 World Cup under Leeds coach Brian McDermott. The Canadians say they regularly attract crowds of 7,000 for international matches at the Lamport Stadium.

Perez was thwarted in his initial plan to enter a team in Super League but will aim to achieve his ambition through promotion.

The Canadians will be closely watching the progress of Toulouse, who also have designs on joining Catalans Dragons in Super League but were forced to start off in the third tier.

They are so far unbeaten in League One and last week knocked Championship leaders Leigh out of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup.

http://talksport.com/rugby-league/canad ... VItPDO.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

Of all the half-arsed ideas to be supported by Red Hall, this has to be the worst. The list of stuff that needs fixing in UK RL would run off the page yet we get this!

Is there anyone in the hierarchy of the sport who has the guts to say it is a total waste of time money and effort!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

robbobillinge wrote:Of all the half-arsed ideas to be supported by Red Hall, this has to be the worst. The list of stuff that needs fixing in UK RL would run off the page yet we get this!

Is there anyone in the hierarchy of the sport who has the guts to say it is a total waste of time money and effort!
According to radio Manchester yesterday, it's not RFL money but being funded by a wealthy Canadian whose paying all the return airfares, accommodation, wages, and league 3 structural finances. Apparently a "no-lose" situation and the prospect of a stronger league in Canada and North America, which is the world's largest sports market. Could try it, and if it fails after so long, then nothing lost, except the Canadian investors millions ?
BriH

Post by BriH »

No doubt he will be meeting up with the USA coach, Brian McDermott?
robbobillinge

Post by robbobillinge »

I hear what you are saying Nezza, but I fear that the intiative will go the way of Paris St.Germain, Kent Invicta, Mansfield Marksment et al and leave the RFL with egg on their collective faces, yet again.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robbobillinge wrote:Of all the half-arsed ideas to be supported by Red Hall, this has to be the worst. The list of stuff that needs fixing in UK RL would run off the page yet we get this!

I agree. I don't care if some wealthy Canadian is funding it because he can't go on doing this forever so it's only ever going to be a short to medium term enterprise.

Then there is the fixture format. Blocks of four games at home and then four on the road in the UK.

Sounds fine but all the players in that league are amateur and will have jobs. Swanning off to Canada might not be possible for them, the coaching staff and club officials.

And what about the Canadians coming this way? How does a month on the road for them work?

They can't be paid full time while away or they would bust the salary cap after a week.
Pharabus

Post by Pharabus »

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm guessing these guys will be have to be full time and the salary cap will be removed to support that.

Going the other way looks like needing one full day off work on Friday if they fly thursday night. Anyone working regularly on the weekend is going to struggle, but its only one match a year for each individual.

Much though I would like this to work, I'd give it one season, but probably less than that TBH. I'd imagine that they wont' actually ever play a game.

It would be good if the RFL made negotiated a bond that is held independently that would guarantee the venture for say 5 years, or something like that. It would give everyone confidence.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
BriH

Post by BriH »

You said it mate!
Thought it was an April Fool joke. Never heard anything so ridiculous in the whole of my RL life - 60 years - and I've seen and heard some barmy ideas but this has to be the best (worst).
If the RfL isn't sorted out soon I fear for the future: I really do.
Management buy-out needed. Step forward the Doc K + others with loads of money :lol: :angry: