Our Matty!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hanley the God!

Our Matty!

Post by Hanley the God! »

Now I never went to today's game so I'm not speaking from a position of strength but I just wondered from supporters who went to the game how our Matty Smith played? I've read the reports and couldn't see his name mentioned except that he fluffed the first two conversions. Was there much creativity from him today against a lesser quality opposition or just the usual fraticl arm waving?
Hanley the God!

Re: Our Matty!

I meant frantic arm waving. Doh! Predictive text!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I did not go but from the very brief highlights he did fine. The team again from very brief highlights looked better for Lockers playing and George looked fine in the brief bit I shaw.
Hanley the God!

Cheers CP!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Smith and Wigan looked good with Lockers and Williams running, but when the 2 went off, the wigan attack was lacking again, and Smith had a poor last 20 mins.

The second half was awful, not helped by the ref giving about 20 forward passes.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote:Smith and Wigan looked good with Lockers and Williams running, but when the 2 went off, the wigan attack was lacking again, and Smith had a poor last 20 mins.

The second half was awful, not helped by the ref giving about 20 forward passes.
And 90% of those were given by the Dewsbury fans first :wink: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Hanley the God! wrote:Now I never went to today's game so I'm not speaking from a position of strength but I just wondered from supporters who went to the game how our Matty Smith played? I've read the reports and couldn't see his name mentioned except that he fluffed the first two conversions. Was there much creativity from him today against a lesser quality opposition or just the usual fraticl arm waving?

The reason he fluffed those two goals was the pitch itself the tries were scored way out on the touchline and the perimeter fence was only 4 feet away so no run at all .Charnley missed a kick from the same position the playing surface was pretty bad Orrell looks ten times better than this.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

First Try Tickle wrote:Smith and Wigan looked good with Lockers and Williams running, but when the 2 went off, the wigan attack was lacking again, and Smith had a poor last 20 mins.

I don't know what I am watching then. Smith was poor against a poor side only Sykes gave any resistance. This was a game Matty should have nailed with the space he had and failed .You are right with Lockers and Williams. but the job was done and saving energy was priority for big game next Friday. Don't like singling out players especially Matty but the question was asked on how he played and I answered as I saw imo.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

jaws1 wrote:
Hanley the God! wrote:Now I never went to today's game so I'm not speaking from a position of strength but I just wondered from supporters who went to the game how our Matty Smith played? I've read the reports and couldn't see his name mentioned except that he fluffed the first two conversions. Was there much creativity from him today against a lesser quality opposition or just the usual fraticl arm waving?

The reason he fluffed those two goals was the pitch itself the tries were scored way out on the touchline and the perimeter fence was only 4 feet away so no run at all .Charnley missed a kick from the same position the playing surface was pretty bad Orrell looks ten times better than this.
My eldest lad played on that pitch a few times and it is well known that cinders etc come up ( think it was built on an old tip of some description ) anyway his legs used to be cut to pieces and constantly had to bathe them for fear of infection , it used to be a lot worse when it was wet
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

It was a measured performance from Wigan. Some belting hits went in from our forwards and theirs too. Lockers and George played very few minutes and yes they provided most of the creativity when on the field and our attack looked a lot more crisp naturally. Out of the youngsters I thought Oliie Gildart and Lewis Tierney looked good showing plenty of zip. Last quarter of the game was a bit messy but the game was gone and we had loads of players playing in strange positions. Full credit to our pack though the heat was unbelievable. I think Sutty and Burke played about 60 mins yesterday so fair play to those 2 big lads for fronting up in that heat with some bell ringers to suit. It will be interesting to see how much our attack improves again with Sam coming back for Hull.
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)