scully and long coming 2 the jjb??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Lockers15

scully and long coming 2 the jjb??

Post by Lockers15 »

i heard somewhere that Scully and Long are millwards first transfer targets.
thegimble

Re: scully and long coming 2 t...

Post by thegimble »

Does the ruling apply that if a foreign player has been in the UK for 5 years or over he is not classed as a foreign player. EEC passed a ruling years ago which had a world wide implication.

Smicer at Liverpool was not regard as a foreing player on his 5th season and therefore he was not counted as a foreigner. With the 3 out of EEC which the Czech Rep was at that time Liverpool could effecitvly have 4 players from outside the EEC.

Some might ask the relevance of this. Has Dallas being at Wigan or in the UK for 5 years if so would he not be classed as a foreigner on the Cap system. Just thinking if Carney went then Dallas and Albert would be a great wingers to have.
GeoffN

Re: scully and long coming...

Post by GeoffN »

thegimble posted:
Does the ruling apply that if a foreign player has been in the UK for 5 years or over he is not classed as a foreign player. EEC passed a ruling years ago which had a world wide implication.

Smicer at Liverpool was not regard as a foreing player on his 5th season and therefore he was not counted as a foreigner. With the 3 out of EEC which the Czech Rep was at that time Liverpool could effecitvly have 4 players from outside the EEC.

Some might ask the relevance of this. Has Dallas being at Wigan or in the UK for 5 years if so would he not be classed as a foreigner on the Cap system. Just thinking if Carney went then Dallas and Albert would be a great wingers to have.
The RFL scrapped the 5-year residency rule last year. Anyone who was already qualified at the time (i.e. had already been here 5+ years) was OK, but no-one could qualify subsequently. TBH I think it's it's a good idea, from a GB point of view, although, as you say, had it still been in place Dallas (and Moran) would have come off quota at the end of this season.
Didn't know it was an EEC edict though - wonder if it could be challenged?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

GeoffN posted:
thegimble posted:

The RFL scrapped the 5-year residency rule last year. Anyone who was already qualified at the time (i.e. had already been here 5+ years) was OK, but no-one could qualify subsequently. TBH I think it's it's a good idea, from a GB point of view, although, as you say, had it still been in place Dallas (and Moran) would have come off quota at the end of this season.
Didn't know it was an EEC edict though - wonder if it could be challenged?
There is a lot of things that the SL does against EEC regulations. The cap is a restraint of trade and if that it would be challenged in an European court of law then it would inevitabley fall.

I believe it is a policy in the eec to help with people who live in a country for a certain period of time to be able to become nationals or not to have to apply for a work permit every few years. This does not let anyone illegal who comes here stay after they hide for 5 years.
Fraggle

Re: scully and long coming 2 t...

Post by Fraggle »

Lockers15 posted:
i heard somewhere that Scully and Long are millwards first transfer targets.
These are inevitable rumours. If we'd got Tony Smith in as coach the rumours would have been McGuire and Sinfield for Wigan. Not sure who'd would have followed Tony Rea from London, if we'd gone for him instead?! I wouldn't put too much faith in these rumours. Why do we need another loose forward anyway? We've already got Lockers, the next GB captain, whilst Dave Allen is waiting in the wings as well (and should be playing there now in Sean's absence instead of Steven Wild IMO).
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

And if we'd got "Happy Frank" back, we'd be linked with O'Connor, Cassidy, Connolly and Smith!
:cool:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
We've already got Lockers, the next GB captain, whilst Dave Allen is waiting in the wings as well (and should be playing there now in Sean's absence instead of Steven Wild IMO).
I agree. Unless the thread about Gleeson Jr is correct Wild will be in the centre so surely it is Allen's turn again at 13?

I am just not impressed with Wild this season and if we had a fit squad he wouldn't get a look in IMO.

Give Allen some game time.

Dave
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

DaveO posted:
Fraggle posted:
We've already got Lockers, the next GB captain, whilst Dave Allen is waiting in the wings as well (and should be playing there now in Sean's absence instead of Steven Wild IMO).
I agree. Unless the thread about Gleeson Jr is correct Wild will be in the centre so surely it is Allen's turn again at 13?

I am just not impressed with Wild this season and if we had a fit squad he wouldn't get a look in IMO.

Give Allen some game time.

Dave
Dave this isn't right, yet again we agree. Hansen, Tickle Allen should be our 11,12,13 on Monday
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

GeoffN posted:
And if we'd got "Happy Frank" back, we'd be linked with O'Connor, Cassidy, Connolly and Smith!
:cool:
I agree with you there GeoffN but would that have been a bad move getting those 4 players BACK lol :D

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

If we are looking at getting a few of the gypsies to come to Wigan I personally would look at Wille Talou (If thats how you spell his name) Darren Albert and Micky Higham. I think Ian Millward will have a few surprises up his sleeve.

Ian Millwards Cherry and White Army.
Pain is temporary pride is forever