What was it called?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
bill.inger

What was it called?

Post by bill.inger »

I've been trying to recall the name of the wood we kids in the forties and fifties used to chew. It was a stick about as thick as a pencil and the wood, probably tree root, was yellow. I remember it tasted quite pleasant, a couple of inches lasted for hours and it was supposed to be very good for your teeth.
Can anyone remember what we called it?.
jaws1

Re: What was it called?

Post by jaws1 »

Liquorice root you can still buy them today chemist at Worsley Mesnes have them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Liqorice root?
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I actually have 4 sticks of it in my office draw. Been there for months I saw it in lake district and thought I loved thatstuff got to have some. Tried a piece nothing like i remmembered it.Hence still in draw. :)

Just tried to attach photo of it but can't.
BriH

Post by BriH »

bill.inger wrote:I've been trying to recall the name of the wood we kids in the forties and fifties used to chew. It was a stick about as thick as a pencil and the wood, probably tree root, was yellow. I remember it tasted quite pleasant, a couple of inches lasted for hours and it was supposed to be very good for your teeth.
God, I can remember
BriH

Post by BriH »

BriH wrote:
bill.inger wrote:I've been trying to recall the name of the wood we kids in the forties and fifties used to chew. It was a stick about as thick as a pencil and the wood, probably tree root, was yellow. I remember it tasted quite pleasant, a couple of inches lasted for hours and it was supposed to be very good for your teeth.
God, I can remember
those! Shows our age eh?

(Don't know what happened to my quote)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

BriH wrote:
BriH wrote:
God, I can remember
those! Shows our age eh?

(Don't know what happened to my quote)
I remember them too, they were disgusting ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Yep liquorice roots. Quite liked them, used to swallow them too (but that was a bit weird).

Then again better than the "liquorice paper" (aka Rizzla) we used to chew for a while......... :alie: :alie:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I used to buy them from the stall on Wigan Market that advertised Platt's Foot Paste. I loved em. We just called them liquorice sticks!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

On a slightly different vein does anyone remember TIGER NUTS those wierd little shrivelled up things,or am i going daft? que:WW