Re: Smith to Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

so if we had any doubt about next season it certainly looks like we'll have Williams & Leuluai at 6/7.

Happy with that.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Who'll be our goal kicker next season is this an opening for Hampshire or Shorrocks? Hopefully will result in more creativity next year. Smiths a nice lad but never in my opinion been Wigan class.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

None of the current 1st team backs (remaining next season) bar George Williams have any history pf place kicking. Likewise the forwards. I don't think Tommy has done that much place kicking. Is Smith soes leave then Shorrock and/or Hampshire are halfback backup.

Maybe we have room for a signing. We certainly need a kicker though. Smith will replace Walsh for Saints.

My big issue is that whomever plays halfback will be restricted by Wane and his RL philosophy.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Meltdown on Redvee pretty much begun!!! :cool: Already some dispondant replies :lol:

As for Smith...A lovely bloke, who I think has been stifled by Wane and his structures. Although a lot of people havent rated Smith, for me he has always shown great committment to Wigan and its fans, and done what has been asked of him. Maybe Saints will see a different Smith?

As for Tommy and George at halfback.....how about Soward :wink: ??

Matt
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

Commitment wise he is faultless and always gives 100% but his 100% just isn't good enough. Not his fault. I would wish him all the best but if i am honest i hope he has a stinker as he will be playing for 'them' :lol: :lol:
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Thank goodness for that, very very pleased to see him go....Just not good enough for Wigan.

I wish him well at the snakes

markill

Post by markill »

We might think more of him when he's gone. As much as I like him though, it really is the case that we want more than what he offers in general.

In terms of kickers for next year, it's a concern but Richards and Smith weren't regular goal kickers before we forced it on them. People like Sam T, Sam P, Williams and Shorrocks will all be options.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I firmly believe the way Wigan play under Wane hinder halfbacks, particularly Smith who has always tried to follow what Wane demanded.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think Smith is a far better player than fans think he is,perhaps hindered by tactics who knows and I fear saints have got significantly stronger if they play to his strengths.

And as for kicking surely they have to bring someone in we are not,for the love of god going into a massive season with a couple of untried kids as our primary kickers?

I wish Matty well for the remainder of his career
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

A nice bloke doesn't make you a good player.
Smith has played some decent rugby for Wigan, but from what I've seen he struggles to create of late when the pressure is on.
In big games when teams haven't pressed us (Hull FC, 2013 CC), he's looked very good, but in big games when we're under the cosh (Hull FC, 2016 CC), he seems to disappear.

My opinion is that we are getting an excellent player in TL, who is currently playing to good form in a tough competition.
If he can replicate this form next season and we can piggy back jake Shorrocks and/or Ryan Hampshire with him they can hopefully push on.

I do wish matty Smith all the very best in the future and thank him for his efforts at WWRLFC.