4 out of 5

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

4 out of 5

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Business end of the season and we have a win ratio of 20% from our last five games! Mind you we will probably qualify for the semis on default. One win and we could be back at OT, I am ever the optimist!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Re: 4 out of 5

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Business end of the season and we have a win ratio of 20% from our last five games! Mind you we will probably qualify for the semis on default. One win and we could be back at OT, I am ever the optimist!
Christ help us if we get there!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Yet again I'll it before someone else does if we get to OT that's down to the sad state of super league surely?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Key word is "if"

No guarantee the way we are playing we would improve on the current 20% success rate at the moment
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Business end of the season and we have a win ratio of 20% from our last five games! Mind you we will probably qualify for the semis on default. One win and we could be back at OT, I am ever the optimist!
The possibility of getting that one win depends largely on the fitness and effectiveness of the returning players in terms of how they improve our attack.

I have said before we have missed Faz. His midfield breaks are one of the few things to make the team more unpredictable in attack.

I am no fan of Gelling. I don't think he is on the same wavelength as anyone on planet Earth never mind the team but he has the size to break the line out wide and given our utterly crap attacking in the last 20m he could find us a score there. You just have to hope he doesn't cancel it out or worse with a brain fart or two in defence.

And that is it. That is what we and more to the point Wane is relying on. He has no other bolts to shoot. Devoid of attacking ideas he is going to have to rely on pride and individualism from these two to pull the iron out of the fire because the rest of the team including the better players like Bateman have not collectively shown they can do it without them, averaging something like 19 or 20 points a game.

If it comes off we will be stuck with Wane for God knows how long and he will be deluded enough to think himself as a great coach. So will some fans.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
The possibility of getting that one win depends largely on the fitness and effectiveness of the returning players in terms of how they improve our attack.

I have said before we have missed Faz. His midfield breaks are one of the few things to make the team more unpredictable in attack.

I am no fan of Gelling. I don't think he is on the same wavelength as anyone on planet Earth never mind the team but he has the size to break the line out wide and given our utterly crap attacking in the last 20m he could find us a score there. You just have to hope he doesn't cancel it out or worse with a brain fart or two in defence.

And that is it. That is what we and more to the point Wane is relying on. He has no other bolts to shoot. Devoid of attacking ideas he is going to have to rely on pride and individualism from these two to pull the iron out of the fire because the rest of the team including the better players like Bateman have not collectively shown they can do it without them, averaging something like 19 or 20 points a game.

If it comes off we will be stuck with Wane for God knows how long and he will be deluded enough to think himself as a great coach. So will some fans.
Dave, your finding that soft spot for Gelling, you like him, but just struggling to admit it. Just come out, it's no shame ????????????
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:

hasnt Wane admitted we need new attacking ideas? if he stays or not you'd hope we would bring a attacking coach anyway. im in no rush to see a coach thats got us to multiple GF go, however, we a missing that extra 10% in attack that means the difference between winning and losing the GF matches.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:

hasn't Wane admitted we need new attacking ideas? if he stays or not you'd hope we would bring a attacking coach anyway. im in no rush to see a coach thats got us to multiple GF go, however, we a missing that extra 10% in attack that means the difference between winning and losing the GF matches.
He has admitted this but has done nothing about it. The same sentiments were expressed re Noble but for getting to semi-finals. Wane's dismal record in the CC is enough for him to get the boot IMO.

The structure of both competitions (they are both knockouts in the end) and the strength of the league (or rather lack of it) makes it quite easy to get to semi-finals. We have for example just lost four out of the last five games and will still get a shot at earning a place in the final and have played some dismal RL all year. Yet here we are!

There is something wrong somewhere. We should not even be close.

I think it's the structure of the competitions. If the champions were to be decided by who finished top it would be increasingly unlikely we would be considered in with a realistic chance and who based on the entire seasons form never mind losing 4 out of the last 5 could argue with that?

Yet even if we lose the semifinal, on paper we will have reached two semifinals and some will see this as an achievement and it makes Wane a good coach but plenty won't.

I'd even go as far as saying if we went to the GF and won it in our usual poor style this season the competition structure will paved the way for a poor team to be crowned champions.

It could happen. Will I laugh at Saints fans if it does? Of course but I am realistic enough to know if we carry on playing the same way next season we stand as much chance as being where Leeds are now as we do in another GF.

I also think if the RL on show for the twenty-odd regular fixtures continues to be dismal people will stop going regardless of a GF win.
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

Poor teams get to, and win grand finals. Look at the Stains team that beat us when Flower got sent off........

But let's take it one game at a time. We can't win a final if we don't qualify for it, I'd always prefer to see us saying entertaining expansive rugby and that's completely feasible with the majority our playing staff but we aren't at the moment so let's make sure we win ugly.

If that means we can give a full pre-season to Tommy, Budge, Sam, Faz etc who are either returning, been playing injured or returning from injury and also integrate the ideas of a new attacking coach as Champions then all the better.