Referee for Friday

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Referee for Friday

Post by josie andrews »

WARRINGTON WOLVES V WIGAN WARRIORS
FRIDAY 16TH SEPTEMBER
HALLIWELL JONES STADIUM
KO : 20:00

Referee: R Hicks

Touch Judges: C Sharrad A Martin

Reserve Referee: J Smith

Reserve Touch Judge: J Pullein

Video Referee: B Thaler

M Com: Alan Smith
Time Keeper: P Taberner
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
OJ

Re: Referee for Friday

Post by OJ »

Messed up - sorry
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OJ

Post by OJ »

Oh heck :angry: we're doomed with him in charge.

Don't know if you would prefer this on a separate thread mods - no doubt you'll shift it if that's the case

http://m.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sport ... gan_clash/
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Wasn't he in charge when we won there 0-28 in the play off game last year?
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

I'm sorry, Hicks, Sharrad and Martin together are my worst nightmare. Someone may be able to put up stats to prove me wrong, but I always feel these three give every 50/50 call they can against us. Also they see every slightly forward pass we throw, but miss those thrown by the opposition.
I know I have not got any evidence to prove this but it is how I feel when they are on the pitch. :( :(
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
markill

Post by markill »

How would there be stats on something as subjective as 50/50 calls? One group of fans 50/50 is a clear call one way or the other to another group. Fans are the most biased people in the game you see.

Given the three don't always officiate together as well, how do you know they were the officials that called the penalty or forward pass and not one of the other officials on the field?

FWIW
Hicks has done three Wigan games this year (excluding Magic, which he started and then got injured in)
We won 1 (Saints away) and lost 2 (Wire at home, Leeds away)
Penalty counts were:
Saints 10-10
Wire 10-6 against (also one sin-binning against us, Farrell for late hit on try scorer)
Leeds 6-8 against

Your view might be skewed by the Leeds game. This was the one where Josh grabbed/shoved/touched/whatever his arm.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Am I the only person around here who thinks that who the ref or touchies are in a particular games does, and should have, next to no effect on the likely result?

Yes, some refs are better than others. I don't see, though, why the selection of a particular ref should effect the chances of either side winning.

Put it this way: it is 99.9% in a team's own hands how they are treated. Refs are only human: surround them with abuse all game, and they may well lose patience.
Warrior1872

Post by Warrior1872 »

100% moto 748 refs are just a scapegoat for fans to blame you should have heard the Hull fans last friday i think they would of lynched him in that park near the ground,also there is no better touch judge than Tony Martin
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Warrior1872 wrote:100% moto 748 refs are just a scapegoat for fans to blame you should have heard the Hull fans last friday i think they would of lynched him in that park near the ground,also there is no better touch judge than Tony Martin
.....for anyone playing Wigan!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

markill wrote:How would there be stats on something as subjective as 50/50 calls? One group of fans 50/50 is a clear call one way or the other to another group. Fans are the most biased people in the game you see.
Hence why I said "I feel" a subjective opinion as it always feels that way to me. I am also comparing them to all the other officials.
Given the three don't always officiate together as well, how do you know they were the officials that called the penalty or forward pass and not one of the other officials on the field?
Maybe it is that Sharrad and Martin are easily recognisable
FWIW
Hicks has done three Wigan games this year (excluding Magic, which he started and then got injured in)
We won 1 (Saints away) and lost 2 (Wire at home, Leeds away)
Penalty counts were:
Saints 10-10
Wire 10-6 against (also one sin-binning against us, Farrell for late hit on try scorer)
Leeds 6-8 against

Your view might be skewed by the Leeds game. This was the one where Josh grabbed/shoved/touched/whatever his arm.
Totally disagree with this as I have felt the same about these three individuals for a number of years.
Also what no stats can show is not the decisions given it is the ones that are not, for example tries scored against us from blatant forward passes. It just feels to me that when any combination (1, 2 or 3) of these three officials is involved in our games we don't get a fair crack of the whip, more so than any other official. which doesn't take away from your point that it is up to us to play in a way that they can't have an effect on the game.[/quote]
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#