Injury Update

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Injury Update

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Tomkins out for the remainder of the season with foot injury

Sean O’Loughlin also highly unlikely to play again with calf muscle injury

Warriors now without 15 First-Team squad players but remain determined to reach Grand Final

Wigan Warriors announce that Sam Tomkins will miss the remainder of the season following a recent foot injury.

Sam’s foot became swollen and sore and was X-rayed last Saturday at Salford Royal. He has since had extensive investigations including CT and MRI scans which have confirmed the severity of the injury. Sam will have investigative surgery early this week with repair performed as necessary.

Wigan also announce that Sean O’Loughlin’s injury on Friday is highly likely to prevent him from playing in either the Play-Offs semi-final or the Grand Final if Wigan get there. Sean sustained a calf muscle injury during the warm-up on Friday.

These are major disappointments for Sam and Sean, for Wigan Warriors and for England where they were hoping to be selected for the Four-Nations Tournament.

Ian Lenagan, Chairman, commented:

“This season has thrown up bigger challenges with injuries than ever before, yet I’m proud to say we are still fighting fiercely and successfully as shown by the 12-man victory over Warrington last week and in Friday’s performance against Catalans to qualify for a home semi-final.

“Currently, Wigan has only 20 players available from a First-Team squad of 35 but there is a tremendous spirit and confidence amongst this Wigan group that thrives in adversity. That character and resilience, plus the ever-improving performances in defence - and growing effectiveness in attack - of our remaining First-Team and Academy players lays a great platform for the crucial next two weeks.

“Despite all of the challenges that the club have faced this year I, Shaun Wane, Kris Radlinski and the First-Team squad believe that we can defy the odds to make this an excellent season-end for Wigan.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... uFm7HBx.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Re: Injury Update

Post by Wiganer Ted »

That's a blow whichever way we look at it.
Sam and Lockers are massive absentees for us.
15 injured players out of 35 is horrendous.
The club really needs to look at and investigate the reason for so many injuries which have been happening throughout the season.
One option is available I suppose is that Ryan Hampshire be recalled now Cas's season is over. Doubt they'll do that though!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Lockers has barely been fit for months he's a name that keeps being bandied about in the hope he may pass a fitness test,I said to myself I didn't think he'd play again this season and it's come to pass,it really is time to have a look at his future now.

Sam let's be fair has been a shadow of his former self,he simply hasn't been fit all season,the knee of his used to be a career ender the fact he even came back is testament to modern science I suppose at least now it saves him being dropped by England and he can have the rest he clearly needs.

Will he be back is the question I don't know the answer but I'm not holding my breath.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is a shame Hampshire could not have stepped in but I think he will be on a season long loan again next season so we have probably seen the end of him.

Sarge can do a lot of good things from FB. The only area missing is spotting when and timing a pass to a runner in a better position.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I've been very critical of Sarginson to me he's an enigma wrapped in a puzzle that I feel only the NRL will unlock but yes he will do just as good a job at fullback as Sam has been doing.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sam’s foot became swollen and sore and was X-rayed last Saturday at Salford Royal.
God I can tell you FACT that Sam T complained post Wire and was then x rayed at Salford and no break showed up which is when I made my posts.

Was Sam bringing it up in the changing rooms, going to Salford, showing no breal; IMAGINARY :doz:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

They will know us by our trail of dead...
So, who will we see line up for his at the start of 2017?

Clubb - probably not?
Joel - probably not?
Mossop - probably not?
Lockers - maybe not, for his own good?
McIllorum - probably.
Manfredi - probably not, but maybe at the end of the year. Full recovery? Probably not.
Sam - ???
Gregson - ???

Now, bearing in mind the injuries we have had, I would argue that Wane's inability to instill discipline on and off the pitch has fatally compounded our problems. The last thing we needed was to lose vital players for one or other. It is that, plus his inability to count to 1, that must seal Wane's fate for mine.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:They will know us by our trail of dead...
So, who will we see line up for his at the start of 2017?

Clubb - probably not?
Joel - probably not?
Mossop - probably not?
Lockers - maybe not, for his own good?
McIllorum - probably.
Manfredi - probably not, but maybe at the end of the year. Full recovery? Probably not.
Sam - ???
Gregson - ???

Now, bearing in mind the injuries we have had, I would argue that Wane's inability to instill discipline on and off the pitch has fatally compounded our problems. The last thing we needed was to lose vital players for one or other. It is that, plus his inability to count to 1, that must seal Wane's fate for mine.

How have any of the injuries above been down to Wane's inability to instil discipline?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

10 months for Sam according to person who mentioned Escare
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I am not his biggest fan but I cannot clame Wigan/Wane re discipline causing injuries. I could argue the Wane Way leads to more injuries, game plan. I am guessing our forards do a lot of tackling compared to other clubs.

As much as I would prefer a different coach, I cannot , willnot blame Wane re injuries down to discipline or lack of it.