The VR / Officiating / Impact On Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

The VR / Officiating / Impact On Players

Post by cpwigan »

Correct decision tonight but the crazys aspects are the length of time it is taking, I think clubs should have 1 to 3 challenges per game and choose when they want the VR to be called. I would get rid of on field called then VR.

Crazy scenario. You have the line ahead and a player (Gildart) is faced with doing a Devon Lock and not scoring so the game is played on or he takes the odds and scores. Tactically, DL is the right call but for sport the worst and wrong ploy.
ian.birchall

Re: The VR / Officiating / Impact On Players

Post by ian.birchall »

It did make Gelling cause Bill Arthur to apologise though!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

The video ref is a great concept being used in the wrong way.
I fail to see what tonight's 20th view showed that the 19th didn't (or the 9th for that matter). That many views shows that he is undecided.
Tonight's was a try. Last nights was a try (Peyroux's).
The silly thing is, within the laws of the game the video ref had to disallow Peyroux's as no clear shot was given of the ball on the floor. The shots that were given would have required the failure of gravity for him not to have grounded it but he couldn't over rule the ref with common sense.
We've taken the lead over other sports in using this technology, then shot ourselves in the foot with the restrictions we have imposed on it.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Shaun1967 wrote:The video ref is a great concept being used in the wrong way.
I fail to see what tonight's 20th view showed that the 19th didn't (or the 9th for that matter). That many views shows that he is undecided.
Tonight's was a try. Last nights was a try (Peyroux's).
The silly thing is, within the laws of the game the video ref had to disallow Peyroux's as no clear shot was given of the ball on the floor. The shots that were given would have required the failure of gravity for him not to have grounded it but he couldn't over rule the ref with common sense.
We've taken the lead over other sports in using this technology, then shot ourselves in the foot with the restrictions we have imposed on it.
I disagree, the ref did not award a try he ruled play on from a knock on and therefore the VR needs to be 100% certain that Michaels scored, there is no way he could rule that way and he was not convinced hence the many reviews.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The above is the way I looked at it as well.
Another point when did a finger sliding down the side of a ball become controle and downward pressure. We have seen them given to us for similarly poor grounding. Not good bring back the true way of grounding a ball.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Was there sufficient evidence for the VR to overrule hicks initial decision that Michael's was not a try. I don't think there was.
Similar scenario on Thursday night looked much simpler to overrule the on field decision yet the VR stock with the on field verdict.
Incompetence on the part of the officials, or dare I say bias in how they make their decisions.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it was a try but the rules are crazy and 10 minutes is a sport killer!
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

If it takes 10 minutes to make a decision then to me the evidence isn't conclusive and the on field decision should stand, I have said before there should be a time limit on the video ref to make a decision. The zoom facility doesn't work just blurs the picture then you get that pair of idiots Stevo and Eddie screaming you can see his finger on the ball it's conclusive even though the picture is distorted by the zoom.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jasonnlouise wrote:If it takes 10 minutes to make a decision then to me the evidence isn't conclusive and the on field decision should stand, I have said before there should be a time limit on the video ref to make a decision. The zoom facility doesn't work just blurs the picture then you get that pair of idiots Stevo and Eddie screaming you can see his finger on the ball it's conclusive even though the picture is distorted by the zoom.
Good call re time limit but having to disrove the refere decision is probably why we get 10 minute marathons.

IMO it was a try and at least OUR game was won fair and square. Wire v Saints was the biggest joke with 2 wrong decisions.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

IMO it was a try the ball went backwards after finger tip pressure.