Cronulla game - Has the novelty worn off???

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AndyNick

Cronulla game - Has the novelty worn off???

Post by AndyNick »

Just been on to buy my Cronulla tickets. Only just been able to secure the day off work and was worried i'd left it a bit late. How wrong was I, Couldn't believe just how many tickets are left for the game.

I'm wondering if the absolute pasting the three English sides got last year has something to do with it? Last year tickets seemed to be in much higher demand, and we were only the support act. This year we're the main event (allegedly) and no-one seems bothered.

I know there is a train of thought that the WCC is more of a distraction than anything else, and particularly last year when we ended up losing Mickey Mac to a season ending injury in what was essentially nothing more than a glorified friendly, and If we were involved in the support game again then I have to say I probably wouldn't have bothered this year. However this is the first time since 2011 we've had the chance to take on the NRL champions on our own patch. Usually it attracts a lot of fans of other SL clubs as well. Hate to say it but has putting it up against the football on a Sunday afternoon had a detrimental effect?

Either way, 2 weeks out from the game, i wasn't expecting to be able to get 2 tickets in the 3rd row near the halfway line (and there were plenty of seats to choose from too)
joeb

Re: Cronulla game - Has the novelty worn off???

Post by joeb »

Not sure about that but poss ticket price more to do with it
jao711

Post by jao711 »

If the novelty has worn off you need a couple of years in the championship to freshen you up.Count your blessings.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Not the most important fixture I think but it's nice to get one over the Aussies
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

It should be though! The opportunity to see the best Wigan players against some of the best Antipodean players should be a huge draw card. I wonder how many neutrals are attracted to such games. Plenty watched Manly and the Widnes v Canberra in the early year of these games.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

IL in his interview touched on the subject of travelling support numbers falling.Travelling has become considerably more expensive in recent years ,and when it.'s on TV neutral supporters will think twice.Thinking back to the Manley.game at CP(the best atmosphere I have ever experienced anywhere,including Wembley),and the Canberra game at OT,when the concept was fresh,perhaps interest is fading.(but don't tell the the players.)
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Certainly from 1982 onwards interest in any match v Australian / New Zealand opposition filled stadioa, incl big football grounds. In the last decade it has changed, negatively.

Manly at CP was an EVENT, CP shook with the crowd frenzy and not a try was scored but it remained a fabulious night.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

They said the other day that 15,000 had been sold which I'd say is ok at this point. It's the sort of game a lot of people will only start getting their act together late doors in terms of buying tickets. We go home and away and are yet to buy ours so that's 8 more tickets!

I'd be very surprised if there's less then 22/23,000 on which is more then acceptable tbh when you think we're massive underdogs.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Well now that Cronulla have indicated that they're coming to play after naming that squad! I hope that the Wigan fans and neutrals turn up as it should be a cracker, and a great chance for fans to see some quality Aussie players!!!

Matt