Why has our attack improved?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Why has our attack improved?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Is it due to us getting more of our first team squad on the park? Have the young players matured after the GF success? Is the team more confident following our OT win? Does Tommy offer far more than Matty? Do we have more pace in our line up which makes us a greater threat?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Re: Why has our attack improved?

Post by markill »

The tries have all been down the left edge. A group of young, skillful, quick players who are comfortable and confident in each others ability.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Tommy was always gonna be a better leader than smith, he can pass, tackle, take on the line and he can organise the plays. The only thing we will miss with smith is his kicking game, and even that was abit hit and miss.
Wes

Post by Wes »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Is it due to us getting more of our first team squad on the park? Have the young players matured after the GF success? Is the team more confident following our OT win? Does Tommy offer far more than Matty? Do we have more pace in our line up which makes us a greater threat?
Personally think it's a mixture of the above. Why do you think?
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

I think having a almost full strength team to chose from helps unlike last season.
IN WANE WE TRUST
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, it's a bit of everything. As much as anything else, our youngsters are coming on leaps and bounds, Gildart and Tierney look quality players now where many were questioning them a year or so ago. George Williams has got plenty of improvement left in him, I reckon, too.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firstly our pack stood up. It's a lot easier to play when they do.

Secondly our halves look solid. George is a year older and Tommy's experience is there for all to see.

I'm not just saying this as a Wigan fan, but this season could be very nice indeed.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wes wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Is it due to us getting more of our first team squad on the park? Have the young players matured after the GF success? Is the team more confident following our OT win? Does Tommy offer far more than Matty? Do we have more pace in our line up which makes us a greater threat?
Personally think it's a mixture of the above. Why do you think?
I agree Wes. If we stay healthy we are going to take some beating.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

For me it's all of the above but lets be brutally fair here,they played wonderfully well sunday,no question but at Salford it was a good first half,indifferent second half.

No to me something changed last season against Warrington after Flower had been sent off,maybe it's just me looking at it perhaps too simplistically but that was the game that things just got better,thats were the momentum started,thats the game,for me they looked likely GF winners,they simply didnt look like losing again last season from that game onwards.

Tactics changed? yes i think somethings were moved about a touch and they set off on a run to last sunday and hopefully beyond.

Tierney greatly improved,Gildart has Burgess with him so i wouldnt like to be the defence when those two are in full cry,Williams and Bateman (if they are still here in the coming seasons) still have masses of room for improvement and thats a frightening thought.

oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Tommy replacing Smith has a lot to do with it.Escare is also a bonus.