Road to Old Trafford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Road to Old Trafford

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We all know its a long shot us getting to old trafford but i think there is still hope but we need a few things to happen for sure.

1) Score big

At the moment the 3 chasing cas are all within 8 points of us in the league but that would just be to draw level. Points difference is heavily against us though. Luckily the points follow the trend of position so 4th place Hull are on 44, Problem is we are on -45. We need to score heavy when possible to balance this out as i believe one of the spots will boil down to points difference

2) Cas and Leeds to keep winning

Cas are run away at the top and we need them to take points of everyone around us hopefully going out the cup will aid this. Salford i feel are our best chance for a side in that bunch to capitulate, Leeds are probably the strongest team in there and we could do with another team in that bunch to take points off the others after all we only need to make forth. Cas play Leeds, Hull and Salford before the end of the regular season. Leeds also play st helens and hull. 2 consistently strong teams at the top would help us gain ground (as long as they dont beat us too)

3) Weak teams to win

We need a few upset results, teams below us or around us but not likely to make it like Wakefield to take points of the teams above us. Our main threat going after the top 4 are st helens although they are inconsistent and a resurgent Huddersfield who are starting to put some real form together.

4) Stay Fit

We need to the players who have come back to stay fit especially the likes of lockers/MM/Tomkins/Gildart

5) Win

The fixtures are probably kinder to us than any of the top teams before the super 8's i feel like we need to win all 5 games before the super 8's to stand a chance of making the 4.

If we could do that and come within 2-4 points of 4th place, the super 8's could work for us, I expect salford to fade in the super 8's and the fact we should have in theory a fresh squad most people have been out most the season, we could do some damage in this section. If we could be within 2 points of 4th then all we really need to do is beat whomever is there when we play them and its in our hands.

I think its still achievable especially if we can keep players on the pitch and out the treatment room

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Road to Old Trafford

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Great post WF, for me its quite simple, keep players fit and we win the GF!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

This Friday will be a key match. I will look up if and only if we win that. We only just managed to beat a Wire team in complete disarray by a point so we still have a long way to go. Win on Friday though and we are good enough (if Saturday's team takes to the field) to win every game: lose and we have got to focus entirely on retaining 8th spot.
The talent is there which is a start.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote: If we could be within 2 points of 4th then all we really need to do is beat whomever is there when we play them and its in our hands.

Providing, as you say earlier, that we have got our points difference within reach of that of fourth-place. If not, we'll need to be within one point to overhaul them.

Just looking again at the able, Wakey are in a good position, they are 6 points ahead of us, with a PD 117 in their favour. If Hull do fall away (Cup distraction?), teams like Wakey are best placed to take advantage. They, and Saints, would surely have to have quite a collapse to give us any chance.

I'm less bothered about Huddersfield. Especially after we hammer them next weekend! :)
markill

Post by markill »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:This Friday will be a key match. I will look up if and only if we win that. We only just managed to beat a Wire team in complete disarray by a point so we still have a long way to go. Win on Friday though and we are good enough (if Saturday's team takes to the field) to win every game: lose and we have got to focus entirely on retaining 8th spot.
The talent is there which is a start.
Every match will be a key match really, the need to win and win well that WF1985 highlighted means it elevates the importance of every game. Playing under that pressure may be beneficial for the cup semi and hopeful final though. I think the GF is a long shot and we should revisit that after the next 3 league games. If we win those I'd be shocked if we miss out on the top 8, which needs to be the first focus.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with markill, we need to win on Friday to start the run which may get us to old Trafford. We'll have to improve a lot from this weekend to beat Huddersfield and although theoretically you would expect us to improve quickly, the players that returned after long absences may suffer a reaction this week. If we lose to Huddersfield it's all about the cup and we should rest certain players (e.g. Lockers)accordingly. If we win on Friday we should just aim to keep winning and only rest players the week before the cup game. The win on Saturday has given everyone a huge boost but lets not forget, the team that played was the best we can now put out with the possible exception of adding Tony Clubb. There's nobody else who could be back before the cup final.
LTAWigan4Eva

Post by LTAWigan4Eva »

Friday will be tough but the team should get better and better as matches progress.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Forget the GF, we will not get in the top 4, simples
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well, OK, but much closer to the end of the season last year, me, and I think, most Wigan fans, were saying we had no chance.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

old hooker wrote:Forget the GF, we will not get in the top 4, simples
I don't think anything i put forward is implausible

The biggest challenge is to win these next 5 games and stay fairly injury free. if we take form into the super 8's and win our next 5 games we will be in there with a chance.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure