The view from Sydney

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

The view from Sydney

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have had to come over to Sydney on a family matter, and it has been an interesting experience. As we are playing out here next year I thought I would give my impressions...
- if you can visit here you should do so. It is an amazing city - beautiful, easy to get round, friendly people and obsessed with rugby league;
- they show SL games live and then repeated on Fox sports. Apparently they get more watching in NSW than we get in the UK for some games;
- they have been advertising Wigan's tour and pretty much every league fan I met was aware of the Hull game. Wigan is a name that everyone knows...
- I have watched all 4 of their top 8 play off games (3 live as they were at the SFS which is just down the road from us). The top team - the Storm - is a class above us but I think we could compete in that company. Certainly the Hull games recently were as high quality as a couple of the games this week end;
- that said, there are 3 main differences. They seem to have more huge players than we do in SL. There was one for the Cowboys - Taumalolo - who must be the biggest man in the world. And they are very effective. I have long since thought that we should get more naturally large players (like Scott Taylor). There really are loads to choose from. They show their reserve games on TV over here and there are loads who look every bit as big and athletic as Gelling/Fonua. It is just. a question of scouting.

Anyone who thinks that rugby league is not the game it was should get over here. This city of over 4 million people shows what can be done.
pedro

Re: The view from Sydney

Post by pedro »

:eusa2:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

There's plenty of big uns in the Holden cup, some good signings could be made for average money, was just taking a look and a few caught my eye size wise.

George Francis
Levy Nzoungou
Fabien Paletua-Kiri
Giordan Patea
Justin Timu
Solomon Vasuvulagi
Wes

Post by Wes »

medlocke wrote:There's plenty of big uns in the Holden cup, some good signings could be made for average money, was just taking a look and a few caught my eye size wise.

George Francis
Levy Nzoungou
Fabien Paletua-Kiri
Giordan Patea
Justin Timu
Solomon Vasuvulagi
Is that the same Levy who came through saint's academy?

That would be funny if we signed him and he was a beast!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wes wrote:
medlocke wrote:There's plenty of big uns in the Holden cup, some good signings could be made for average money, was just taking a look and a few caught my eye size wise.

George Francis
Levy Nzoungou
Fabien Paletua-Kiri
Giordan Patea
Justin Timu
Solomon Vasuvulagi
Is that the same Levy who came through saint's academy?

That would be funny if we signed him and he was a beast!
It is the same one, he looks like he's a big unit
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:They seem to have more huge players than we do in SL. There was one for the Cowboys - Taumalolo - who must be the biggest man in the world. And they are very effective. I have long since thought that we should get more naturally large players (like Scott Taylor).
I agree but what would be the point? Wane would still expect the wingers to do his job and want him playing like a back row forward. Waste of an air fare and salary in our current "structure".

As to RL in NSW and Sydney & NSW, I am surprised you seem so surprised as to how big the game is there. You don't get TV deals like that for second string sports.

Interesting you mention the reserve grade there and it being televised. Just another indicator of what is wrong with our game with it's lack of a reserve grade. Thank you Hethrington!

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree but surely IL must realise by now that Wane needs an attacking coach. Surely he has watched the majority of the last 2 seasons?
pedro

Post by pedro »

bring back harris
WiganPom

Post by WiganPom »

I live in Queensland and the game is huge over here. We have a 24/7 Rugby League TV Chanel on Fox. They not only show NRL games (every game is shown live) they also show live Super League, Under 20s games and have good shows on there that make Boots n All look like even more of a joke than I thought it was when I lived in the UK. Terrestrial TV shows live NRL and the state competition live. I am off to the QLD Cup comp final soon and they will get bigger gates than the million pound game in SL. I can't wait for feb though to go to see Wigan again live having only seen them twice since 2013.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Our pies are better