Gabe Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Gabe Hamlin

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Just looking at some social media posts and it struck me the size (or lack of) in the new boy.

Theres a pic with oli gildart where oli actually looks bigger and theres one with ryan sutton that is quite a contrast

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcz9Ts6FV_6 ... y=gildart3

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcyCO9qDLOf ... gabehamlin

I know pics can be deceiving but if FPN does leave we are going to look a very small team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
si_bax

Re: Gabe Hamlin

Post by si_bax »

he looks hammered in both pictures, cant seem to keep his drink in his glass
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think FPN tends to prove what the actress said to the bishop - size isn't everything.
Wigan_forever1985

Southern Softy wrote:I think FPN tends to prove what the actress said to the bishop - size isn't everything.
true but to quote another saying "a good big'un always beats a good little'un"

the fact that many think oli is a small centre says a lot when he actually looks bigger
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Just looking at some social media posts and it struck me the size (or lack of) in the new boy.

Theres a pic with oli gildart where oli actually looks bigger and theres one with ryan sutton that is quite a contrast

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcz9Ts6FV_6 ... y=gildart3

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcyCO9qDLOf ... gabehamlin

I know pics can be deceiving but if FPN does leave we are going to look a very small team
FPn was with the squad the other day on granada tv I think
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

He doesn’t look the biggest tbh but nowadays it seems more important to find the floor for a quick ptb than to bust tackles.
The videos I’ve seen (yes I know it’s YouTube) show he’s excellent speed and footwork at the line. Half beams and quick ptbs are the order of the day these days.
Wigan_forever1985

sheepsteeth wrote:He doesn’t look the biggest tbh but nowadays it seems more important to find the floor for a quick ptb than to bust tackles.
The videos I’ve seen (yes I know it’s YouTube) show he’s excellent speed and footwork at the line. Half beams and quick ptbs are the order of the day these days.
well at ~ the same size as a small centre id expect him to have good speed and footwork.

To put it in perspective Budgie is bigger than Sutton, so our winger is going to be about twice the size of our prop - mind you given the way that Wane plays that is probably about right
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

or as Mark Twain once said, 'It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.'
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Maybe so

But I think of the best props in the comp and think of Chris hill or Alex warmsley - how many good small props are there?

And before anyone mentions flower apparently have is at least 2 inches shorter and at least a stone lighter

Hard to find stats but some of the Aussie forums reckon he is 5”10 and <100kgs
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I'd always want props to be big and strong and bust tackles and attract players it creates space. Hate that dropping down to their knees soon as a fingers laid on its just crap! True Hamlin doesn't look the biggest but apparently he's 96kg certainly doesn't look it. Like people's said though that's hardly heavy and we are looking even more lightweight for next season. Add in the missing mtrs gelling use to make and it's not looking good on the meter making front. We've never really replaced big lads like mossop or Taylor who were both 110kg+ in my opinion.