Why why why

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ken

Why why why

Post by Ken »

Why why why do the players not want to stay and play for Wigan,
Watching saints tonight Same players as last year (a settled side)
Is this down to Lanagan, coach, I know it's not Rads, Why Why Why
Ken Blinston
Firestarter

Re: Why why why

Post by Firestarter »

Maybe its the way we play...... players not being able to express themselves on the field
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Imo it's because we are now a safety net for failure, fail in the NRL and come straight back here no questions asked. Gildart & Sutton both nowhere near the finished article yet want a no risk chance of a place in the NRL.
Someone needs to remind Wane, Rads and IL that local isn't the same as loyal.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Ken wrote:Why why why do the players not want to stay and play for Wigan,
How do you know it is not Rads? We have a lot of players who have spent long periods at the club e.g. Lockers, Faz, Benny, Sam P.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Ken wrote:Why why why do the players not want to stay and play for Wigan,
How do you know it is not Rads? We have a lot of players who have spent long periods at the club e.g. Lockers, Faz, Benny, Sam P.
Lockers is old school - Benny I think the punch thing meant he lost his value to other teams and Sam p will be here as long as wane is because he wouldn’t get close to any other top teams starting 13

Faz is probably the best player to not get poached from our squad

I agree with the sentiment in the previous post - too easy to return to wigan if things don’t work out for you elsewhere, everyone who failed in their jumps returned to wigan - if gells wanted back we have him in a heartbeat

The issue is compounded by lack of ambition in recruitment we leave doors open because we don’t replace or improve players who left. If Williams left we wouldn’t sign a top half back we would probably promote shorrocks or woods meaning Williams could displace them easy if he wanted to come back when the nrl inevitably didn’t work out for them

We are being treated as a team like the safe bet - play for us and you can go to the nrl and not have to worry about it not working out because you’ve got a place back
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

We, 'scuse me, but could somebody name all the players who left in the last closed season who you'd have kept?

FPN? MM?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

morley pie eater wrote:We, 'scuse me, but could somebody name all the players who left in the last closed season who you'd have kept?

FPN? MM?
Thats not what i think the OP was referring to though, it was more the

Sam Tomkins
Joel Tomkins
Dan Sarginson
Lee Mossop
Thomas Lu
Joe Burgess

all who left when they were in great form only to be re-signed once they failed (with the exception of Lulu who came back on a retirement gig)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
NeeNawWarrior22

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

Firestarter wrote:Maybe its the way we play...... players not being able to express themselves on the field
Bang on. That, and the culture. Wanes culture
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Big lifestyle change for families and a big leap in standards between super league and NRL so you have to be top notch to make it work,very few make it as all the players know.
Is it a case of pay me more,rather than really wanting to move to Australia?
Both George and Sam are on big money,could any one say that they have earned the big money since given the marquee status? Is the exodus a problem created by an unequal wage system?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yonmon wrote:Is the exodus a problem created by an unequal wage system?
It's a problem created by players agents IMO. There is obviously an unequal wage system between SL and the NRL as we all know but I am not sure how many of the players actively ask their agents to find them an aussie club.

I think it is the other way around and agents encourage players to seek a move because when they do, the agents make more money.

I bet the Sam Tomkins saga about a move to Les Cats has at its root an agent.