Bateman & Wiiliams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bateman & Wiiliams

Post by josie andrews »

Apparently, & according to the League Weekly tomorrow, Bateman is going to the NRL! ☹️

He has been blown away with the big money offer from Canberra Raiders which is half as much again as he has been offered in SL!

——————-

Catalan are wanting Williams for 2019! ????

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Re: Bateman & Wiiliams

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote: Apparently, & according to the League Weekly tomorrow, Bateman is going to the NRL!

He has been blown away with the big money offer from Canberra Raiders which is half as much again as he has been offered in SL!

Catalan are wanting Williams for 2019!

Based on his form for this season i'd let them have him.
Bateman i'm gutted about.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The problem with Bateman is he had another good game on Saturday against an international team. His defence was good at centre, but then his game improved when he went in the pack. He even ended up playing dummy half and showed he's got an eye for the line.

If he had a stinker Canberra might have said no thanks.

As for Williams, I would love a season with him working with a new coach. On Friday Woods was running along the line without one player running for him, in the end he just tips it off. This is how it is for Williams but we expect miracles.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I honestly believe Williams has talent in spades. You don't lose that overnight.

Like you I believe a spell with a different coach could get him back on track.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

It will be a pity to lose Bateman but good luck to the lad.As for Williams the sooner the better.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Bateman is an ultimate grafter, he has an amazing engine on him and he's a solid in defence too which is why the NRL are keen on him i think, he reminds me a bit of Gareth Ellis but doesn't have his size

Williams is a funny one, he's a cracking talent however his game relies on having an organising 7 doing the running of the team. If we had a Brett Finch here williams would be dominating because it would allow him to do his off the cuff running game that he is best at.

Wigan historically have taken square pegs and put them in round holes especially in the halves. Dennis Moran was a complete flop at Wigan but people often forget he was top superleague try scorer in 2002 and 2003, his game was a poaching/running game. Wigan signed him and tried to make him play like Adrian Lam and it took away all the things he was good at. We did the same with Tommy L when he first came he was loads better at 9 than he was at 7. Richards was atrocious when Wigan decided despite being a Grand Final winning winger in the NRL we would stick him at Centre. Amos Roberts was transformed into a new player when he was moved to fullback.

Williams is in this boat now, Matty Smith was a poor 7 - but he was still a 7 who played for 80mins and took some of his workload from him. Now he has Powell who is worse than smith @ 7 and has spent so long at 9 he barely resembles a scrum half anymore. He doesn't even have him all game either he basically gets then lumped with Escare who again is not a 7.

To get the best out of players you need to play them where they are best. Trouble is Wigan think of the players they want first and where they will fit them in the team second instead of looking for what we actually need as a team first and finding the correct players for those roles

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

agreed,for Williams to work at his best,and I tire of repeating this the side needs a Matty Smith type player alongside him,allowing him the freedom to play his game,though the naysayers won’t have it but his dip in form has conincided with Smith leaving in my opinion.
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

looks like we are in the market for a scrum half nect year,
http://www.totalrl.com/leuluais-wigan-f ... n-the-air/

The most interesting line is the one about the route to assistant coach

"Leuluai is due to join the club’s coaching ranks at the end of the current campaign, but it’s looking increasingly unlikely that be the case.

The reasons behind his potential exit are uncertain, although it’s understood that Leuluai is open to extending his playing career and also to a return to New Zealand."

is this the end of the boys club mentality?
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
To get the best out of players you need to play them where they are best. Trouble is Wigan think of the players they want first and where they will fit them in the team second instead of looking for what we actually need as a team first and finding the correct players for those roles
I agree and this has got worse since Wane has been coach. Not only does he choose players he wants and puts them in the side come what may (Powell is the best example) he gets players not to play to their strengths such as sticking players we signed who were 2nd rows as props or asking props not to be "wrecking balls" when that is their game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Lazy J wrote:looks like we are in the market for a scrum half nect year,
http://www.totalrl.com/leuluais-wigan-f ... n-the-air/

The most interesting line is the one about the route to assistant coach

"Leuluai is due to join the club’s coaching ranks at the end of the current campaign, but it’s looking increasingly unlikely that be the case.

The reasons behind his potential exit are uncertain, although it’s understood that Leuluai is open to extending his playing career and also to a return to New Zealand."

is this the end of the boys club mentality?
He might just have concluded with a new coach he might not have a position. Or worse the club has decided it can't afford him.

Either way, a bit unfair of the club if it was an eventual coaching role that enticed him back here in the first place if it is not his choice to leave.