Anthony Mundine

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bob217

Anthony Mundine

Post by bob217 »

Does anyone else no anything about anthony mundine?Don't you think someone should get on the phone to maurice and ian and tell them he wants to return to rugby league and has not signed for anyone yet.He would be a better signing than lyon.
Wizard_Millward

Re: Anthony Mundine

Post by Wizard_Millward »

Who the hell is he? Anymore info?
Wizard_Millward

Ok just done some research, and please forgive my lack of knowledge i've only recently started to follow the NRL. From what i can gather he looks like a decent player but possibly has an attitude problem?
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Anthony Mundine is the self proclaimed the best rugby player ever. From memory he was a good player but could upset the balance of any team.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

He played centre for Brisbane but he was mainly a stand off for St George, he gave himself the name Anthony "the man" Mundine, then he gave up rugby and took up boxing. Hes 29 or 30 now and was on about a comeback this year, but he stated he wanted a 1 year deal only before he went back to his boxing, he also said he wanted to join a top team and win a Grand Final, to add to his legacy or some bull crap like that. Basically the guy had talent, but his aim is fame and fortune and not being a team player.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

He decided that he was wasted in rugby league and that he would never get the recognition he deserved; so became a boxer (his Dad is a trainer). He proclaimed that he would be a massive star and undisputed World champion.

He made some very stupid comments after 9/11 (he's muslim) and was basically removed from world rankings because of it.

He fought the most protected and one of the worst super middleweight champions of all time in Sven Ottke - a guy that could not lose on points in Germany (believe me, you've never seen a situation like it) and got knocked out - despite the fact that Ottke is not a reknown puncher.

He won a "version" of a title and then lost to another fringe contender.

He is an alright boxer, but he'll never be much more that a top ten ranked fighter.

He was a pretty decent player for St George, however he was really an individual player rather than a team player.

He is a horrendous Gobsh*te and would not be a good signing for the club - think of Stevo, but about a dozen times more self-centred

No sale!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
Wizard_Millward

Sounds like an amazing guy.

I know he is obviously the extreme of this, but i do beleive we could do with some more players with abit of attitude about them. People complain about players like Ryan Bailey because of his attitude, but you don't see him being forced back in tackles and he generally comes out on top in the front-row battle in a game.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Wizard_Millward posted:
Sounds like an amazing guy.
The sad thing is he is in the papers for the wrong reasons - like saying how he could see why the muslims would want to attack America. We get enough bad press as it is.
Wizard_Millward posted:
People complain about players like Ryan Bailey because of his attitude, but you don't see him being forced back in tackles and he generally comes out on top in the front-row battle in a game.
Didn't Bailey also spend time in a young offenders institute (which is basically a prison) for playing football with an unconscious man's head? Bailey is a thug, who makes up for his lack of ability with forearms and cheap shots - I would never want to see him (or his "partner in crime" Walker for that matter) at the club, and considering how well he gets on with Danny Sculthorpe, it is thankfully unlikely we ever will

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Wizard_Millward posted:
i do beleive we could do with some more players with abit of attitude about them.
Hmmm, maybe we could sign John "the finger" Hopoate as well whilst we're busy trying to resurrect the rugby careers of players who basically gave up the sport (in Mundine's case) or had no option due to their attitude (Hopoate)
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Well things certainly wouldn't be dull if we signed Mundine but take all the bad ideas Wigan have had and multiply them by fifty and that might just add up to signing the self styled 'Man'. Don't even consider it.