A Few Positives

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

A Few Positives

Post by ChrisA »

The result and performance was a little better, a good few players had good games and impressed me, and a good few players showed again they lack any real class.

Orr had a good game again, very unlucky not to get over when he hit the gap, kicked well and made a few good clean breaks, tackled well as always. With a few games injury free, he will improve and Wigan will be a much better side because of it.

Scully had a belter in my eyes, he ran it hard all night and always made yards, he cut out the silly passes and offloads, and his disipline was spot on, also he was very unlucky to get sin-binned, it was his first offence and the ref was wrong.
Danny is so clever with the ball, when he was younger playing in the under 16's at Waterhead when I was in the under 18's you could tell then he could handle a ball, he has the ball skills to be a halfback but isnt built for it. His pass for Guisset was spot on and showed what a guy hitting a ball at pace can do. He always plays with passion and tonight he did that without losing his temper, great game alround.

Hargreaves, now this guy has impressed me alot over the last few weeks, he has such a good enigne, he just never stops running and tackling, hes fearless to say he isnt the biggest prop by any means, he was immense again tonight, this is what I mean from a young player, you just know they have it when you first see them, I would even go as far as saying we could release Seuseu and give his spot next year to Hargreaves.

A few players showed there lack of class, and for all their efforts and commitment they really showed they lack the true quality you need to make it a club like Wigan.

Allen doesnt really posses any quailities that stand out to me, he was anonymous for most of the game apart from giving penalties away, he wont get a sniff next year.

Colbon, he tries but he doesnt look like he really has the talent.

Aspinwall and Wild, they both try hard enough, but again they havent got the quality and class we want outwide, we need players who are dynamic and skillful, players who can create and score tries week in week out, none of these 2 posses that ability, if we stick with these we will not be much of a threat out wide. At best they are squad players.
thegimble

Re: A Few Positives

Post by thegimble »

ChrisA posted:
The result and performance was a little better, a good few players had good games and impressed me, and a good few players showed again they lack any real class.

Orr had a good game again, very unlucky not to get over when he hit the gap, kicked well and made a few good clean breaks, tackled well as always. With a few games injury free, he will improve and Wigan will be a much better side because of it.

Scully had a belter in my eyes, he ran it hard all night and always made yards, he cut out the silly passes and offloads, and his disipline was spot on, also he was very unlucky to get sin-binned, it was his first offence and the ref was wrong.
Danny is so clever with the ball, when he was younger playing in the under 16's at Waterhead when I was in the under 18's you could tell then he could handle a ball, he has the ball skills to be a halfback but isnt built for it. His pass for Guisset was spot on and showed what a guy hitting a ball at pace can do. He always plays with passion and tonight he did that without losing his temper, great game alround.

A few players showed there lack of class, and for all their efforts and commitment they really showed they lack the true quality you need to make it a club like Wigan.

Allen doesnt really posses any quailities that stand out to me, he was anonymous for most of the game apart from giving penalties away, he wont get a sniff next year.

Aspinwall and Wild, they both try hard enough, but again they havent got the quality and class we want outwide, we need players who are dynamic and skillful, players who can create and score tries week in week out, none of these 2 posses that ability, if we stick with these we will not be much of a threat out wide. At best they are squad players.
At least things are getting better. Need 2 more wins in the next 3 and we will be a different team. Newton and Orr did well in the first half but Moran needs to learn how to kich the ball awful with 1 kick again.

I said a few week ago id give Orr the benefit of the doubt until October, he was ok last week and from what i saw first half and by your account in the second again he played well.

We were missing 3 good backs although Carney should never play again in my opinion and Jerry. 4 Quality players. Saints can gloat all they want but they are not as unbeatable as i thought 3 weeks ago.

We play them 1 more time at JJB. If we get all personnel back and by then we should be secure from relegation although Widnes wins sun were 5 off but have 3 easier games on paper than they have over the same period. Then we can take them. We look like a side that is short on confidence but by then we might have nothing to play for and therefore might catch them at the right time if there position is sorted out.

Your point on quality is spot on. Aspy and Wild are bench-squad players and not automatice first team choices. If we get Calderwood next season and 1 big centre then we will not get run over by anyone.

Our backline then will be exciting to watch and hopefuly will bring the best out of DV. Hes not showed his potential yet but with a big pack and quality around him id give him another crack next year. Same for Orr and Moran there is only so much a pairing can do when they face the injuries we have had.

Amazing we lose and we make strides forward now on the Wakey we beat them then were 3-1 from the last 4.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

thegimble posted:
ChrisA posted:

At least things are getting better. Need 2 more wins in the next 3 and we will be a different team. Newton and Orr did well in the first half but Moran needs to learn how to kich the ball awful with 1 kick again.

I said a few week ago id give Orr the benefit of the doubt until October, he was ok last week and from what i saw first half and by your account in the second again he played well.

We were missing 3 good backs although Carney should never play again in my opinion and Jerry. 4 Quality players. Saints can gloat all they want but they are not as unbeatable as i thought 3 weeks ago.

We play them 1 more time at JJB. If we get all personnel back and by then we should be secure from relegation although Widnes wins sun were 5 off but have 3 easier games on paper than they have over the same period. Then we can take them. We look like a side that is short on confidence but by then we might have nothing to play for and therefore might catch them at the right time if there position is sorted out.

Your point on quality is spot on. Aspy and Wild are bench-squad players and not automatice first team choices. If we get Calderwood next season and 1 big centre then we will not get run over by anyone.

Our backline then will be exciting to watch and hopefuly will bring the best out of DV. Hes not showed his potential yet but with a big pack and quality around him id give him another crack next year. Same for Orr and Moran there is only so much a pairing can do when they face the injuries we have had.

Amazing we lose and we make strides forward now on the Wakey we beat them then were 3-1 from the last 4.
Very good post, I'm glad you see what I mean about certian players lacking genuine quality, you cant doubt their effort but effort only takes you so far, as tonight shows, Saints tried just as hard as us but hard more quality all over the park.

We need a good ball playing centre to play inside Calderwood or Richards, Calderwood has signed for us and Dallas is off to souths by the looks of it. That leaves us a quota spot to recruit a top class Aussie or Kiwi centre, if we do that we will be a force for sure next season.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

thougt hargreaves was a gain our bast forward ,looks like he can break the line he deserved his try for his effort :cool:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Forgot him, im going editing.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
We play them 1 more time at JJB. If we get all personnel back and by then we should be secure from relegation although Widnes wins sun were 5 off but have 3 easier games on paper than they have over the same period.
If Widnes win then Wakefield have more to worry about than us. With Salford also getting a tonking tonight their confidence will have taken a bigger hit than ours and so I don't think we need worry about relegation (but then I've said that all along).
This is an excellent point, and perhaps explains why Millward is trying to encourage Aspy to play for a contract. One problem we've had, especially with our injuries, is that our bench has been very lightweight. We've struggled to get 13 players on the field to start a game, but once the game has started, except for Godwin and a prop, we've had little quality or experience to bring on during a game. We're really playing with 14 or 15 players instead of 17 for much of the time. For their faults, Aspy and Wild would be useful players to come off the bench, both are experienced and whilst not capable of changing a match, they would allow us to bring on players not too much worse than anyone coming off. Not that I'm saying the kids are bad, but surely it's better to have a strong 17 than a strong 13 plus 4 promising players? Leeds can bench the likes of Poaching, Saints have Edmonson who's seemingly really come on well, but we've just got inexperience and we're often noticably much lighter on the pitch when players like Beswick are coming on. Wild will probably drop to the bench anyway since we'll have Hock, Tickle, Fletcher etc pushing for the back row positions, but maybe Aspy's worth keeping for a bit longer unless there is a real star yet to be brought to the JJB.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

I thaught the lads played great tonight. Real determination and I dont think the scoreline reflected on the game. I thaught we was the best team. And to the ref once again poor. I like laughton but i thaught he had to much pressure on his shouldors. Some players who stood out tonight were hargreaves absoloutley fantastic prospect, aspinwall fired up after he came on,danny orr brilliant in defence,terry newton world class hooker and danny sculthorpe brilliant fighter. I could name every player cause they all contributed. People may criticise moran but just watch him on the field he is a personal organiser and I feel next year with pressure off his shoulders he will be fantastic.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
botica

Post by botica »

I agree thought the score line flatterd the saints really. Nerves in the first half stopped at least 12 pts and had these been scored early on then this would have been a much different score line. Vialikki has a temper Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!! Encouraging for the next few games now and we could still make 6th! :blush:
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Vaealiki causing scully to have his head bandaged, definate positive :)
Hargreaves is definately trying to claim his place in the wigan team and in my opinion should stay!!
Was disappointed with the overall performances of colbon, aspy, wild and vaealiki although aspinwalls try was amazing.
Botham and Melling going off wasn't good and isn't looking too good really, especially melling.
Surprisingly Godwin disappointed me today, he wasn't as active as he usually is, i didnt think.
Allen and Wild are still proving to me that they aren't wigan quality, think they are two we should be looking to get rid of.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

must admit i did smirk when dave v put one on scully,s coupon .