Calderwood signs Wigan Deal!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
chorleywarrior

Calderwood signs Wigan Deal!!

Post by chorleywarrior »

Not much to shout about after tonight's result but BBC Sport says he has signed a 2yr Contract...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 688175.stm
ChrisA

Re: Calderwood signs Wigan Dea...

Post by ChrisA »

This could turn out to be a very good signing if we get a top class centre to give him the opportunities to exploit, which we all know he can, if we are signing him to play outside Wild or Aspy then its the dumbest move we could have made, he can finish from anywhere given good service, if we dont get a world class centre to feed him, then I'm afraid hes gonna look like a very bad signing, because he doesnt do the work Dalls does in the middle of the park, but then again who does.
DaveO

Re: Calderwood signs Wigan...

Post by DaveO »

He scored a hat-trick for Leeds tonight on the day his signing for us was announced.

I think a certain Mr. Brian Carney could learn a lesson in professionalism from a 23 year old winger!

from sporting life web site:

SMITH - CALDERWOOD IS PLEASURE TO WATCH

Leeds coach Tony Smith insisted it was "a pleasure to watch" Mark Calderwood after Wigan-bound winger's hat-trick of tries helped the Rhinos to a 54-14 victory against Salford.

Wigan tonight confirmed the arrival of Calderwood next season on a two-year deal, with the 23-year-old seen as a natural replacement for Brian Carney, who will join NRL outfit Newcastle Knights next season.

Calderwood turned down the offer of a new deal at Headingley and will move to the JJB Stadium as a free agent in 2006 when his current contract expires at the end of the season.

"He's certainly not going anywhere until the season is over," said Smith. "It's a pleasure to coach him and it's a pleasure to watch him finish what he's doing at the moment.

"We'll talk about his replacement next year. But he's done (finished) with Leeds and has been for quite some time."

Calderwood's clinical finishing again lit up Headingley as he took his Super League try tally to 21 for the season to become the top try-scorer in the engage Super League.

It was his fourth treble this season and served to emphasise the winger's remarkable upturn in form this year
The bit in bold shows you that he has continued to play wel for Leeds before was signed by us.

That is the attitude I expected from Carney next season.

Dave
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Much happier now ship out Carney if he can score like he is this season, with Vailiki or richards at centre with him we should have a vast improvement to our backs
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

WiganWarrior posted:
Much happier now ship out Carney if he can score like he is this season, with Vailiki or richards at centre with him we should have a vast improvement to our backs
Even if we sign no other centre we have a quality backline pooibly.

1. Rads
2. Dallas
3. Richrards
4. DV
5. Calderwood
6. Orr
7. Moran

Thats more like Wigan quality. Imagine if we get a quality centre wed be a top 3 side
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
3. Richrards
4. DV

Thats more like Wigan quality. Imagine if we get a quality centre wed be a top 3 side
Are these two not good enough for you? Pah, some people are never satisfied :D
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Hm, what's the general opinion on him? I haven't even noticed him this season. At least though, our departees are being appropriately replaced and we're not being left with no wingers or no centres next year. We might actually have a full team of men playing in their desired position :O
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fraggle posted:
thegimble posted:
3. Richrards
4. DV

Are these two not good enough for you? Pah, some people are never satisfied :D
I did not say that. I was thinking if rumors re Dallas were true then we would need Richards at FB. And need to sign another Centre. Rather have Dallas stay though.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
I was thinking if rumors re Dallas were true then we would need Richards at FB.

No probs, we can play Rads at FB instead :cool: :D

But I know what you mean about potentially having to replace Dallas (and I'm still not convinced it's not more wishful thinking from the Walrus wanting more players for his team), it must be the heat causing these typos!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Fraggle posted:
thegimble posted:
I was thinking if rumors re Dallas were true then we would need Richards at FB.

No probs, we can play Rads at FB instead :cool: :D

But I know what you mean about potentially having to replace Dallas (and I'm still not convinced it's not more wishful thinking from the Walrus wanting more players for his team), it must be the heat causing these typos!
Yes the heat has got me big style. I do feel we will be in top 3 with the squad we have available already next year.

Dallas is our most consistent performer this year and he and DV should benefit greatly with Richards and Calderwood been there.

When Dallas goes it will leave a bigger hole than when Carney goes. Carney has been a big crowd favourite but Dallas is a much better player.