Cardiff - what a weekend, was you there? Post your thoughts/memories here>>>

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
primrose-n-blue

Cardiff - what a weekend, was you there? Post your thoughts/memories here>>>

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Cardiff - what a weekend, was you there?
It was fantastic, i'm sad the CC is leaving the Millenium.

A party of us stayed in Porthcawl, a resort about 20m from Cardiff.
What a great little spot that was, only small but very friendly.

Back in Cardiff the atmoshere b4 kick-off was awesome and the RFL finally got the oganisation of the hymn "Abide With Me"(my fav) correct!
The hairs on the back of my neck stand up,(got none really) and I get goose bumps on my arms everytime I hear it!

I thought that the 2 sets of supporters were unusually quiet. No banter or singing in the pubs b4 or after the match...and very little during the game, even with concideration for its closeness.
So Warrington never made Cardiff, but wow! if we had, Cardiff wouldn't know what had hit em!!
:doz:

The welsh pubs/bars are great and modestly priced for the occasion, I don't think we could expect that in London, 3/4 quid a pint I guess??
:D
I saw a few Pie shirt's there, not even close to the amount i've seen over previous years when Wigan havn't made the final...was it you?
I imagine that many of you now have sacrficed the weekend to follow latics..very understandable and appreciated :eusa2:
thegimble

Re: Cardiff - what a weekend, ...

Post by thegimble »

primrose-n-blue posted:
Cardiff - what a weekend, was you there?
It was fantastic, i'm sad the CC is leaving the Millenium.

A party of us stayed in Porthcawl, a resort about 20m from Cardiff.
What a great little spot that was, only small but very friendly.

Back in Cardiff the atmoshere b4 kick-off was awesome and the RFL finally got the oganisation of the hymn "Abide With Me"(my fav) correct!
The hairs on the back of my neck stand up,(got none really) and I get goose bumps on my arms everytime I hear it!

I thought that the 2 sets of supporters were unusually quiet. No banter or singing in the pubs b4 or after the match...and very little during the game, even with concideration for its closeness.
So Warrington never made Cardiff, but wow! if we had, Cardiff wouldn't know what had hit em!!
:doz:

The welsh pubs/bars are great and modestly priced for the occasion, I don't think we could expect that in London, 3/4 quid a pint I guess??
:D
I saw a few Pie shirt's there, not even close to the amount i've seen over previous years when Wigan havn't made the final...was it you?
I imagine that many of you now have sacrficed the weekend to follow latics..very understandable and appreciated :eusa2:
Did not go this year but went the 2 previous.

Id rather they keep the final in Cardiff. The stadium is in a great place. Also it is built for Rugby and nor football. Which the new Wembly will be mainly for football.

Good thing about Cardiff is there are so many bars it is easy to get served. Wembly was a nightmare.

jinkin jimmy

Re: Cardiff - what a weeke...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

This was the third year in a row I've been lucky enough to watch the final from one of the boxes. We were 2 boxes along from Tony Smith and as guests at various times we had Noble, Millward, Gleeson, Murphy, Bevan, St John Ellis (great company) and, last but of course not least, Hanley.

We then spent the rest of the evening in the Hull players' hotel at their celebration dinner.

I would be quite happy for the final to stay in Cardiff - the new Wembley will have a lot to live up to!!
Forever Warrior

Post by Forever Warrior »

There were 36 of us from Wigan all at the Hull end. Around the town Wigan jerseys easily outnumbered any others from non competing teams. Didn't see a Wires shirt though saw plenty other Wigan fans. Another brilliant weekend and great result for the game. The Hull fans on RL Fans acknowledged the support they received from Warriors fans. We were all made up for the Hull fans. They deserve the success.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Abide with me was the Hymn they sang this weekend i always remember it being Jerusalem they always sang at Wembley thats probably why it is my favorite hymn
botica

Post by botica »

Ace weekend. the trains up the coast could have been a bit bigger, but what an atmosphere. Thought the Hull fans could have sang a bit more in the streets afterwards. Hundreds of Wigan shirts. One local asked us who had played then looked puzzled when we said. I counted 62 Wigan shirts in the bar i was in after the game. Everyone was really friendly and cheerfull, great weather wet beer and fantastic match. M/way friday was a nightmare 18mile in 90mins M6. By the time we had got through that though B/ham was quiet!! Pitching a tent in the dark what fun!! :lol: :lol:
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

damien morrissey posted:
Abide with me was the Hymn they sang this weekend i always remember it being Jerusalem they always sang at Wembley thats probably why it is my favorite hymn
Thought they did Abide with me at Wembly as well.

Heard Jerusalem done at the GF at Old Trafford.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Forever Warrior posted:
Around the town Wigan jerseys easily outnumbered any others from non competing teams. Didn't see a Wires shirt though saw plenty other Wigan fans.
ftw?

You didn't go into Wetherspoons then..It was full of Wires and all singin Wire songs too.
We were everywhere, either you wasn't there, you have poor eye sight or your just tryin to wind me up..which is okay then!! :wink:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Forever Warrior posted:
There were 36 of us from Wigan all at the Hull end. Around the town Wigan jerseys easily outnumbered any others from non competing teams. Didn't see a Wires shirt though saw plenty other Wigan fans. Another brilliant weekend and great result for the game. The Hull fans on RL Fans acknowledged the support they received from Warriors fans. We were all made up for the Hull fans. They deserve the success.
was you sat with me then
:wink:
yes what a week,sounds a bit sad but i took a family holiday for a week in a cottage,in cickonhow a small village in the welsh mountains a bout 44 miles from cardiff.now lets 4 get about the boring bit,on friday we held a bbq there was about 30 wiganers there ,what fun we had.We got a phone call from the local pub to confirm our booking for saturday night for a meal after the match,she allso said we have 1 of your ex players in here a certain billy boston.Us being great people asked if he wanted to come 4 a beer and a few burgers ,how am i going to get there he said,well come and pick you up ,im sure he thought it was a winde up.To my amazment he agreed and dully turned up to tell stories of past glorys to 30 members of the riversider who we stood listening gobsmacked.HE WENT BACK AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR THE TAXI DRIVER MUST OF WANDERED WHAT WAS GOING ON AS WE ALL SUNG THERES ONLY 1 BILLY BOSTON.We had a few more beers than we should when i have a little more time later ill tell you of our riversiders coach trip to cardiff and my chat with miilward,carney,hanley and brian noble c u all later :eh: :exc:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Meself and t'other half stopped in some modest student accomodation about 25 minutes walk from the City Centre along North Road. It was just what we needed, handy for town and cheap.

I thought the atmosphere was fantastic in Cardiff both on the Friday and Saturday. Primrose, where you with the Warry fans in high-vis vests in Walkabout holding an arm-wrestling contest?

I was one of those wearing me Wigan shirt, I wish I had a pound for everytime I got a comment about having Farrell on my back, either asking if I was a union fan or to ask if it was a collectors item!

I thought the game was one of the best Cup Finals I have witnessed in ages, Hull were so up for it and it really showed, I was well happy for them.

Did any Wigan fans get harrassed by the security guard at the Spar claiming to be Billy Bostons nephew trying to sell a Wigan shirt from around 1998 with Boston 2 on the back. I pointed out Boston had never played in it but was told he bought it! haha, then he started to try and sell us ties and paintings! He even followed us into Spoons when we were having our tea!