WIDDOP’S SHOCK NRL BACKFLIP

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

WIDDOP’S SHOCK NRL BACKFLIP

Post by josie andrews »

Gareth Widdop’s expected return to Australia has hit a major roadblock in a setback for the Canberra Raiders.

Meanwhile, two Sydney clubs have received a big boost in their pursuits for wantaway Bronco Tevita Pangai Jnr, and Rooster Isaac Liu appears to be on the move.

Gareth Widdop’s mooted return to the NRL has gone up in smoke with the playmaker reportedly opting to stay in England.

The 32-year-old had been eyeing a move to Australia — where his family is based — after a stint with Warrington Wolves since leaving the NRL in 2019.

But The Australian’s Brent Read said on Triple M that Widdop has backflipped and is set to stay abroad.

It looks like he’s now going to stay in England,” Read said. “Canberra were the club that were moving for Gareth Widdop but they’ve basically been told Gareth looks like he will stay in England now.

“It’s a bit of a backflip on Gareth’s behalf because he had been shopped around the NRL for a long time now — basically all season he’s been shopped around the NRL and didn’t really get any bites.

“It was only the past few weeks he started to get any interest and Canberra was one of those clubs, but it sounds like now he’s decided to stay in England. So you can put a line through him among those playmakers that were on the open market.”

Last month, Widdop’s former club St George Illawarra reportedly gave its blessing to the playmaker to return to the NRL with another team.

He was released from the final two years of his Dragons contract under the stipulation that he would not return to Australia to play for a rival.

The Raiders were then said to be the front runners for his signature after the departure of George Williams mid-season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 38528daed2
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: WIDDOP’S SHOCK NRL BACKFLIP

Post by Mike »

Where's he going? Us?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 am Where's he going? Us?
He was offered to us a couple of months ago by Warrington, But Widdop wanted to go back to Aus at that point... Id love him here.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Dan2266 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:08 am
He was offered to us a couple of months ago by Warrington, But Widdop wanted to go back to Aus at that point... Id love him here.
How come you didn't mention it?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Me too I think he’s a fine player,I even said to my wife on Wednesday it was a shame he wasn’t playing,mind you I’d changed my tune by the end of the night.

I’d be very happy to have him at Wigan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've never been convinced by Widdop. He can be very good, and he's certainly experienced; he has played with the best. But there are still too many errors and lapses of judgement in his game, that a man of his experience should know better than.

But having said all that, would he improve Wigan right now? It's a no-brainer! :lol:
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:37 pm

How come you didn't mention it?
Didn't know about it at the time, I only knew of Austin being offered which I did mention
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:15 pm
Me too I think he’s a fine player,I even said to my wife on Wednesday it was a shame he wasn’t playing,mind you I’d changed my tune by the end of the night.

I rate him more than Williams personally
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dan2266 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:47 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:15 pm

I rate him more than Williams personally
Difference being Williams has years ahead of him, Widdop has 1 to 2
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Widdop for a couple of years would give Smith more time.