Fair Result

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Fair Result

Post by ChrisA »

We conceeded 2 tries down to forward passes, but overall we were pretty poor in every department, especially our disciplne and ball control, we scored 2 good tries, but apart from that Saints were always in control.
Newton really needs to sort his head out, to many times he has done what he did tonight and he has never learned, hes taken 2 guys out tonight who could now miss the rest of the season, if thats how he is and cant change then maybe he should seek employment elsewhere.
If it was the other way round and Fozzard had done what he did, we would be up in arms, you cant defend what he did and anyone who does needs to take the cherry and white goggles off.
We have had 4 goods wins, but tonight showed were we are at realisticaly, we have imoroved alot over the last few months, but not enough to challenge the big boys. It all stands us in good stead for next year though, the young guys will bulk up and be a year wiser in their development, plus the new guys and players returning from injury, thats the scant consolation I'm taking now from what is left of this year.
Dreamer

Re: Fair Result

Post by Dreamer »

:( have to agree....seem to remember terry newton losing his cool during thr tri-nations final....gave away a penalty and australia scored. :doz:

you cannot lose your cool and still win a game like this....
maurice lindsay is a pixie
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ChrisA posted:
We conceeded 2 tries down to forward passes, but overall we were pretty poor in every department, especially our disciplne and ball control, we scored 2 good tries, but apart from that Saints were always in control.
Newton really needs to sort his head out, to many times he has done what he did tonight and he has never learned, hes taken 2 guys out tonight who could now miss the rest of the season, if thats how he is and cant change then maybe he should seek employment elsewhere.
If it was the other way round and Fozzard had done what he did, we would be up in arms, you cant defend what he did and anyone who does needs to take the cherry and white goggles off.
We have had 4 goods wins, but tonight showed were we are at realisticaly, we have imoroved alot over the last few months, but not enough to challenge the big boys. It all stands us in good stead for next year though, the young guys will bulk up and be a year wiser in their development, plus the new guys and players returning from injury, thats the scant consolation I'm taking now from what is left of this year.
Great Post.

We have improved greatly over the last 6 weeks. We will get better and bigger. Im impressed were still fighting for a play off spot, few weeks ago relegation fight was a possibility. With the injuries and all that has gone on this season no other team in SL could have coped with it and still be there with the shout of top 6. Yes its not good enough for our standards but as we know we will be a lot better next season.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Good post and totally agree with you Chris.
From where we were 6 or 7 weeks ago things have started to turn around very well and like most other Wigan fans I can't wait for the new season. Not too bothered about us not making the six as the time will be better spent getting injuries sorted out and giving the lads a proper chance to get fixed up and with what has gone on with the short term signings at Warrington, Hull and Bradford it is going to be very interesting to see who comes out on top. Have to say I think my money will be on Bradford.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

[quote]ChrisA posted:

Newton really needs to sort his head out, to many times he has done what he did tonight and he has never learned, hes taken 2 guys out tonight who could now miss the rest of the season, if thats how he is and can't change then maybe he should seek employment elsewhere.

Well at least we agree on something ChrisA, it must be time I went and lied down in a darkened room, night night.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

ian.birchall posted:
ChrisA posted:

Newton really needs to sort his head out, to many times he has done what he did tonight and he has never learned, hes taken 2 guys out tonight who could now miss the rest of the season, if thats how he is and can't change then maybe he should seek employment elsewhere.

Well at least we agree on something ChrisA, it must be time I went and lied down in a darkened room, night night.
Lol, sleep well Ian, hope those Millward nightmares dont get to bad :lol:
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

Good effort tonight but they wernt aided by the ref. 3 forward passes 3 tries!!! Vaealiki was probably our best player tonight. I thaught his attacking play was excellent. Really,really touching how Moran and Carney went around everyone shaking hands at the end. Looking at the injured players there as well I thaught what could of been. Going to miss Carney fans favourite. Just one final word on the 'fans' who walked 10 minutes from the end...Disgraceful!!!!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Fair yes HAPPY no by a long way. We seemed to lower our game from the performance we put in against Leeds
warrior till i die posted:
Just one final word on the 'fans' who walked 10 minutes from the end...Disgraceful!!!!
Lets not bring that again i lean towards agreeing with you but alot wont as they have paied and free choice etc.

The fans are the least of our trouble, i agree Terry lost it tonight but i did still find myself smiling seeing Sean Long on the side lines
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

WiganWarrior posted:
Fair yes HAPPY no by a long way. We seemed to lower our game from the performance we put in against Leeds
warrior till i die posted:
Just one final word on the 'fans' who walked 10 minutes from the end...Disgraceful!!!!
Lets not bring that again i lean towards agreeing with you but alot wont as they have paied and free choice etc.

The fans are the least of our trouble, i agree Terry lost it tonight but i did still find myself smiling seeing Sean Long on the side lines
Long was not smiling.

Sorry couldn't.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:
By my book it was three. The first where Smith said it was ripped out (It wasn't.) Then one where Anderson passed it forawrd down the left in the first half and the break away try in the second half.

One I can cope with but three gives the opposition too much of a helping hand.

At 24-12 there was still a chance if the team had played a steady, patient game but instead we lacked a leader and put in a performance akin to the worst we saw under Betts.
And he was supposed to be the captain. The ref set things up so we were behind but the first half performance was reasonable. If Newton had any skills as a captain that second half was when he neede to show it.

Instead I am convinced he let tha bad calls get to him. It is OK for us fans to go beserk in the stands when we see a ref screw up to the extent Smith did but the captain needs a level head.

His performance tonigh should end the debate about him being captain next year. he is not captain material at all.
To be perfectly honest I didn't see what he did and was surprisded to read the comments on Sporting Life about potential fractured cheek bones. But despite all that his performance generally was bloody awful.
I can't see how it tells us much all about where we are. The ref set the course of the game and far too many players missing to make this one a representative game for the team. It is like saying because we beat Leeds we will win SL. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about the young players either who have come in except that have some guts for giving it a go. They are simply not of SL standard at the moment (bar about two maybe) and we don't know if they will bulk up and kick on to be so.

We really do need those new players and ideally another centre but we all know recruitment is complete.

Dave