Newton out until Easter?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Newton out until Easter?

Post by ian.birchall »

Not sure that the tackle on Gilmour was as bad as Sky made out since he was behind Gilmour when he kay-lied him but that tackle on Long, which looks like it will hand the no 7 GB jersey to Burrows for the tri nations, looked a vicious premeditated attack which will bring a deserved heavy ban.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
thegimble

Re: Newton out until Easter?

Post by thegimble »

ian.birchall posted:
Not sure that the tackle on Gilmour was as bad as Sky made out since he was behind Gilmour when he kay-lied him but that tackle on Long, which looks like it will hand the no 7 GB jersey to Burrows for the tri nations, looked a vicious premeditated attack which will bring a deserved heavy ban.
Hes a great talent but his temprament is suspect at best.
WiganWarrior

Re: Newton out until Easte...

Post by WiganWarrior »

If thats the case the Bulls wont want him then! Looks like we will be keeping hold of Godwin
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
I'd be totally surprised if the RFL dished out ban of more than four matches. They never do.

Dave
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

terry,s tackle on long was brutal and he needs a spell on the side lines to take stock
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

This is the price of having Terry in the team. Personally I think that up to now it has been worth paying as I feel teams benefit from having an "enforcer". Players like Tallis, Morley and Newton fall into this catagory and back up their hard man image with immense talent. I have no time for nutters who just want to maim people.

However last night performance from Newton fell into the lattrer catagory. The Gilmour incident was bad, but the foul occurred during the execution of a tackle - these things happen when Newton is in your team.

The Long foul is altogether different as it happened off the ball and only 5m from our try line. His mindset was to hurt Long and to hell with defending the try line. He then "congratulated" Long with a patronising pat on the head as he sat nursing his wound on the floor.

When Cunningham remonstrated with him he wanted to fight again this time with KC. KC had other things on his mind and promptly scored while TN just seethed and stood moitonless, again not carrying out his defensive duties.

So having stirred up the hornets TN contributed exactly nothing more to the game. He must have complained to Milly, Lam, Betts, Farrer or who ever complaining of an "injured hip". Sat in the stands and let the Saints pack batter or young forwards and denying the Saints team any chance of retribution against him. In other words he went missing.

Absolutely gutless.

He will get 6-10 matches and deservedly so. He has condemmend Wigan (unless he moves on) to start the new season under strength.
Thanks.

A meaningless match for Wigan, he could of cruised the next fortnight and spent the rest of the year on a beach nursing his hip, contemplating the season ahead. He hasn't got the brains he was born with - what a pudding!
Leyland-Warrior

Post by Leyland-Warrior »

He has had some good matches for us but overall i would say he was a liability and thats why IM is letting him go to the Bulls, at the end of the game at Stains when we was battered and nilled he was laughing and joking with stains players, that was an insult to those of us fans who had stopped to the end and I thought then his heart wasnt at wigan
Drink until I die, drink until I die, I know I will, I,m sure I will drink until I die.....
willie c

Post by willie c »

Leyland-Warrior posted:
He has had some good matches for us but overall i would say he was a liability and thats why IM is letting him go to the Bulls, at the end of the game at Stains when we was battered and nilled he was laughing and joking with stains players, that was an insult to those of us fans who had stopped to the end and I thought then his heart wasnt at wigan
soon as he hit gilmour i said to my mate he will be lucky to see the game out i think he should have got ten mins in the bin
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:
However last night performance from Newton fell into the lattrer catagory. The Gilmour incident was bad, but the foul occurred during the execution of a tackle - these things happen when Newton is in your team.

The Long foul is altogether different as it happened off the ball and only 5m from our try line. His mindset was to hurt Long and to hell with defending the try line. He then "congratulated" Long with a patronising pat on the head as he sat nursing his wound on the floor.

When Cunningham remonstrated with him he wanted to fight again this time with KC. KC had other things on his mind and promptly scored while TN just seethed and stood moitonless, again not carrying out his defensive duties.

So having stirred up the hornets TN contributed exactly nothing more to the game. He must have complained to Milly, Lam, Betts, Farrer or who ever complaining of an "injured hip". Sat in the stands and let the Saints pack batter or young forwards and denying the Saints team any chance of retribution against him. In other words he went missing.

Absolutely gutless.

He will get 6-10 matches and deservedly so. He has condemmend Wigan (unless he moves on) to start the new season under strength.
Thanks.

A meaningless match for Wigan, he could of cruised the next fortnight and spent the rest of the year on a beach nursing his hip, contemplating the season ahead. He hasn't got the brains he was born with - what a pudding!
Thanks for that post DoD. I didn't actuallty see him hit long but I did see the pat on the head and wondered what it was about.

Your description of the events surrounding the Long incident show everything that is wrong with is game. The fact he let his behaviour cost us a try ought to get him dropped next week if he isn't banned.

I have never been Newtons biggest fan as he blows hot and cold too often. He is not consistent enough disregarding any thuggish behaviour. Outstanding sometimes, then anonymous others. On balance I have always come down he is worth having in the team with a good backup like Godwin. Now I am not so sure.

I was thinking about the potential transfer to the Bulls and wonderting with Wigan were about to do what they did with Barrie Mc. He went too far when he was at Wigan and I always thought he was got rid of because the club considered him a liability.

Maybe they have come to tha same conclusion with Newton and if they have the Long incident will have confirmed it.

Dave
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Never thought I would say it DoD, but thats a very good post and I agree with everything you have said. I cant add anymore to it, you said it all.