IS THIS RIGHT?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

IS THIS RIGHT?

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Here is the advert for a retail assistant offering a ZERO HOUR CONTRACT. I just feel this is not right, these type of contracts should be banned. So I will say "shame on you Wigan Warriors".

Wigan Warriors are looking to recruit two Retail Assistants to work at Robin Park Arena.

The position will be on a casual basis and a zero-hour contract, but the successful candidate would be required to work weekends and match days.

boggart

Re: IS THIS RIGHT?

Post by boggart »

Hard not to keep politics out of the forum when its things like this. No, it is not right and will never be right. Its immoral. Shame Radlinski's touchy-feely approach doesn't extend to this. I expect the allegedly hard-nosed 'business is business' types will object, but something as blatantly exploitative as this shouldnever be allowed. Keep it for the sad 'Red Wall' seat next door, not Wigan.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Shame on them. Exploitation of the highest order. For gods sake. And dont anyone try to condone this as business sense. It is wrong on every level of decency. Can't believe we're stooping to this level.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

In no way endorsing zero hour contracts but this just reads like a cover role for when the store is busy.

Example won't be needed matchday vs say Toulouse as it will be a low turnout but would be when saints visit as the expected turnout would be more.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I have strong feelings against the gig economy and zero-hour contracts - exploitation by another name.
However it could be the wording here that creates guilt by association. As Caboose asks - could it be just an unfortunate way of describing a casual job?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm I have strong feelings against the gig economy and zero-hour contracts - exploitation by another name.
However it could be the wording here that creates guilt by association. As Caboose asks - could it be just an unfortunate way of describing a casual job?
Yes, thats what a zero hour contract should be for, as always its the implementation that (might) be at fault.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It may also lead to a permanent position? 🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

O come on its obvious the job description gives it away with the weekend and night hours. At a wim . I will put my life on it being them hours I wonder why. Please don't try to dress this up as something its not and doesn't say anything about leading to full time position. Your looking to justify a wrong because its wigan. It's wrong and you know it.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Nobody is being forced to take the job. Just saying.