Late Tackle Rule Fiasco

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Late Tackle Rule Fiasco

Post by Bob the Builder »

Rugby League is becoming a joke. You cannot be physical anymore without being penalised. How can you commit to a tackle these days because if the player releases the ball once you've committed you'll be sent off for 10 mins or at least be penalised. It needs addressing. A late tackle is wrong and obvious but these 50-50 calls are always going to the attacking team. The rule needs to be addressed otherwise it spols the game.
Raging Penguin

Re: Late Tackle Rule Fiasco

Post by Raging Penguin »

it does seem strange, of the 3 that were penalised, that they did not seem late, yet the amount of high tackles that seem to be ignored
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

Agreed if you watch back there were a couple in our tries just ignored such as Bevan hit after kicking for Miski. As for Ellis late hit seriously the ball is literally still in the players hands. What is a player supposed to do ... it seems lying on is now completely ignored in fact applauded for 'slowing the ruck' by Sky muppets
pedro

Post by pedro »

WIGIAN wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:48 pm Agreed if you watch back there were a couple in our tries just ignored such as Bevan hit after kicking for Miski. As for Ellis late hit seriously the ball is literally still in the players hands. What is a player supposed to do ... it seems lying on is now completely ignored in fact applauded for 'slowing the ruck' by Sky muppets
no different than wardles that got a sin bin
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

I still need to rewatch the game to be sure, but my initial feeling is that wigan did well against what felt like a 13 v 14 match.

Hopefully we can build from this performance ready for next week
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Raging Penguin wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:04 pm I still need to rewatch the game to be sure, but my initial feeling is that wigan did well against what felt like a 13 v 14 match.

Always the same with Liam Moore.

These late hit decisions are pathetic. We all know that the proper late hits need stamping out but play all of those at full speed tonight and what are players meant to do? It’s a physical game and it’s unavoidable sometimes.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Raging Penguin wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:04 pm I still need to rewatch the game to be sure, but my initial feeling is that wigan did well against what felt like a 13 v 14 match.

Moore probably had his best/fairest game reffing Wigan but these pet peeves (late tackles now) are killing us. How much lying on and high shots were let go?

Wardle, fair enough and lucky not to get red with current standards, but the others? Poor.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't like the way the game is being reffed at the moment. They've clamped down on it bit now, and I think, rightly so, but a few years ago you used to see the likes of Shaun Johnson and Mitchell Moses get absolutely splattered every time they kicked, and they just used to have to get up and get on with it. Now, I think the pendulum has definitely swung too far the other way. None of want to see cheap shots, I'm sure, but incidents like Smithies' soft embrace last week; really? :roll: Meanwhile, the ruck is slow, and defenders malingering in the ruck appears to be fine (applies to both NRL and SL).
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The Smithies one last week was ridiculous.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:31 pm

Moore probably had his best/fairest game reffing Wigan but these pet peeves (late tackles now) are killing us. How much lying on and high shots were let go?

Wardle, fair enough and lucky not to get red with current standards, but the others? Poor.
Wardle tackled him face on, the lad just copped a knock. The others were not late in the slightest and, I agree with Dave O, that penalty against Smithies last week was farcical. We might as well start playing tick and pass.