Wigan Warriors' Bevan French reveals crafty trick which saw positional switch

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Bevan French reveals crafty trick which saw positional switch

Post by josie andrews »

Australian speedster, 27, has been brilliant at full-back and on the wing for Super League club but, ahead of their Challenge Cup semi-final against Hull KR, he explains how he kidded coach Matt Peet into his latest switch to stand-off

Wigan superstar Bevan French has no qualms with yet another positional switch - as he essentially tricked his coach into making it.

Stand-off is the Aussie flyer’s third different role this season but he’s not complaining ahead of Sunday’s crunch Betfred Challenge Cup semi-final against Hull KR. French was Super League’s top scorer last term with a walloping 31 tries, mainly from the wing, so it was no surprise he started this campaign there. But most people reckon the speedster’s best position is full-back where his electric pace burns has helped produce some sublime displays for Matt Peet’s side this year.

However, French is set to play No.6 again at Headingley as the Cup holders bid to reach Wembley again. Fellow countryman Jai Field recently reverted to his favoured full-back role and with Liam Marshall and Abbas Miski in great nick on the flanks, French has a new slot. Such constant shuffling could be problematic but the gifted 27-year-old insisted otherwise.

The ex-Parramatta ace, who’s featured in the last half-dozen games in a new half-back pairing with Harry Smith, explained: “Matt doesn’t know this but I’d sort of painted the scene. I told him I had done it before (played stand-off) so he’d feel comfortable doing it! But I hadn’t really. He said I could come back and play there and, when I did, it was good.

It also freed Jai up; he can just worry about being at full-back now, his preferred position. We’ve seen the last few weeks he’s been lighting things up. So I’m more than happy to do it. And my reaction to being told about it was sweet: because I was the one who planted the seed!”

French, one of Super League’s big stars since moving to the UK in 2019, conceded this is his first real stab at the playmaker role having never started an NRL game in that position. And he added: “I think I’ll be there until further notice or maybe until the end of the year. It doesn’t bother me. I’m enjoying the challenge of it: not being comfortable in that position and trying to improve every week.

"I’m eager to learn and as long as I keep that approach it will all go well. We seem to have a good balance now. If I have to stay there for the rest of the year, meaning it helps the team, I’m really looking forward to it.”

But first up are Hull KR who have caused Wigan issues this season, beating them on the opening day and only going down in golden-point when they met at Craven Park in May. That night Warriors needed Miskas’ try on the final hooter to rescue them before French’s searing break gave Liam Farrell the decisive score in extra-time.

A try-scorer in last year’s Cup final win over Huddersfield at Spurs, he said: “They’ll come out firing. We know what KR are like. They go for the full 80. We’re ready for that sort of war. But we want to get back to the final again."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... p-30516161
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Brennox7

Re: Wigan Warriors' Bevan French reveals crafty trick which saw positional switch

Post by Brennox7 »

I’m wondering how things will look next season, French clearly prefers either FB or 6 but can we accommodate that without moving Field? Will we sign a 6? Will Keighran play 6 or will French play there till the end of the season and mould into it?

I hope we don’t have to get rid of either of them because if you look at the wire game the pair of them are a constant menace
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors' Bevan French reveals crafty trick which saw positional switch

Post by josie andrews »

Plus Bevan has als put in some great defensive work from 6 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Very true! Great short kicking game too! I’m thinking at 27 years old he could stay at Wigan for a long time! Fingers crossed
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I cannot believe this is his 5th season with us.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:24 pm I cannot believe this is his 5th season with us.
I was the first Wigan fan he met & we’ve always been good friends since then 😊
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Love articles from the national press on RL as there is always at least one glaring factual error.

Anyone spot the one in this? Correct. Bevan did not score in last year’s Challenge Cup final win at Spurs
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:14 am Love articles from the national press on RL as there is always at least one glaring factual error.

Anyone spot the one in this? Correct. Bevan did not score in last year’s Challenge Cup final win at Spurs
Didn’t he pass for Field after a run down the wing?
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:46 am
DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:14 am Love articles from the national press on RL as there is always at least one glaring factual error.

He did, so if you're a journalist for The Daily Mirror then that is apparently scoring a try
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:02 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:46 am

He did, so if you're a journalist for The Daily Mirror then that is apparently scoring a try

😂They were probably too excited watching him run down the wing they missed that he passed to Field 😂

Just decided to watch last years CC final again 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️🏆