New TV deal

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

New TV deal

Post by fozzieskem »

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-27566960

So sky again down in money it seems no other serious takers so it was only ever going to be sky wasn't it?

Need to get Channel 4 actually paying us for their games too.
the pieman

Re: New TV deal

Post by the pieman »

i also have a feeling there may be more unsavoury kick off times too for TV matches

the premier league have played games this season on Friday night, as well as championship (or whatever the 2nd level is called these days). If the PL is going to be a regular gig, then RL really may suffer with games being played, at any point from Thursday to Monday so they can be on TV

i personally dont like thursday night matches, especially when we get the Hull gig. At least on a Friday night, i finish work slightly earlier and dont have to get up on Saturday morning when we are late back. From a neutral perspective, yes, its not bad to be able to watch a game on Thursday, but as a fan of either of the 2 sides it isnt normally the best night to watch a game, especially fans with young families
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Sky trying to reduce what they pay and no other broadcasters willing to bid shows you exactly where the sport is currently and heading towards.

Apart from licensing, what has IMG actually done?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Do Sky actually want a sport worth watching? Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:57 am Do Sky actually want a sport worth watching? Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
They will pay what they think it’s worth based on the number of viewers, advertising etc.

The demand clearly isn’t there to warrant a bigger deal.

You can see with other sports Sky are willing to pay the money and promote. The issue is the RFL not growing the sport, not Sky.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:48 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:57 am Do Sky actually want a sport worth watching? Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
They will pay what they think it’s worth based on the number of viewers, advertising etc.

The demand clearly isn’t there to warrant a bigger deal.

You can see with other sports Sky are willing to pay the money and promote. The issue is the RFL not growing the sport, not Sky.
its a strange one as i think the viewing figures stand up pretty well v other sports (excluding football), however, i would think that the type of companies wanting to advertise when RL on v when RU is on would differ massively, and equally then, what that organisation is prepared to pay to advertise. So i think from a demand perspective, its probably there, but from a commercial perspective it will be way off what other sports get

i do agree that the RFL (not sky) are the reason for lack of growth in the game. We can already see it, with it likely to be Fev who replace Cas or Wakey when they get relegated. That isnt going to add any value to the game in the eyes of the Sky commercial team. Sky must also be asking what has happened to their money over the last x number of years where they have been the lead broadcaster. We have clubs, who dont pay the full cap (the tv money used to cover that at one point) and equally havent invested in infrastructure, academy teams etc

IMG have a massive job to get the game the recognition, we as fans, feel it deserves. Generally the product on the pitch is far more entertaining that many other sports, but i feel still being a northern (M62) based product is going to really hamper any chances of growing the game. i know London is a controversial opinion, but i feel that the game for media exposure needs a strong presence down there, and we have to stick with them
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

And they said Toronto and New York would bring the game no medium term value. Idiots.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:10 am i also have a feeling there may be more unsavoury kick off times too for TV matches

the premier league have played games this season on Friday night, as well as championship (or whatever the 2nd level is called these days). If the PL is going to be a regular gig, then RL really may suffer with games being played, at any point from Thursday to Monday so they can be on TV

i personally dont like thursday night matches, especially when we get the Hull gig. At least on a Friday night, i finish work slightly earlier and dont have to get up on Saturday morning when we are late back. From a neutral perspective, yes, its not bad to be able to watch a game on Thursday, but as a fan of either of the 2 sides it isnt normally the best night to watch a game, especially fans with young families
I agree with you I suspect Friday night rugby may be a thing of the past in tv terms at least and then we start the merry go round of where games can be slotted in etc it’ll lead to a lot of annoyance certainly in my household for sure,Thursday games we’ve got used to I’ll agree with about the hull trip they are killers at the best of times let alone if you’ve got work the next day.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:14 am Sky trying to reduce what they pay and no other broadcasters willing to bid shows you exactly where the sport is currently and heading towards.

What have IMG done so far? Not much as far as I can see.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:57 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:14 am Sky trying to reduce what they pay and no other broadcasters willing to bid shows you exactly where the sport is currently and heading towards.

What have IMG done so far? Not much as far as I can see.
I’ve been thinking the same!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan