Health of Rugby League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
PJC

Health of Rugby League

Post by PJC »

Wigan could be on a roll. They appear to have a chance of getting to the Grand Final. I think that people and that includes me forget the bigger picture and think all rosy in the garden. There are 2 other strong teams Saints and Catalan. Leigh will become a stronger force if all goes to plan but they might have reached their limit this year. There are other good teams but they do not consistently hit the headlines. The game needs Warrington, Leeds and others to be a force .I would like to see Widnes and Bradford back in the big time. It would be a tragedy if either Wakefield or Castleford were to go down.
The future of the game depends on publicity which it doesn’t get. Women’s sport, especially football, has taken off. Increased media coverage has very much helped.. It’s shown on adverts that have little to do with the game.
The game has few if any individuals that now have national appeal…Hanley and Offiah achieved this.
Maybe the new marketing body can sort this out.
I have watched Rugby League for nearly 60 years, it’s a game I care about and still enjoy watching but I feel we are falling behind other sports.
doc

Re: Health of Rugby League

Post by doc »

I would like to see Widnes and Bradford back and increase SL by two teams whilst getting rid of the loop fixtures. Sadly I can't see this happening with the reduced TV deal
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

What do Bradford or widnes offer?

Both clubs have gone bust multiple times and are not in any shape to warrant being in SL

As much as its horrible for the players Wakefield also add little while Castleford do need to sort the stadium out their location and fan base (when winning anyway) adds more than Wakefield.

London would benefit the game but it would requires an actual stadium Instead of the pitch they played on last time.

York has a large population and also has.other stuff to do. You may grow interested buy having York invaded by rl fans on matchdays.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
doc

Post by doc »

Bradford and Widnes could both get 10k gates with successful teams.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

doc wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:09 pm Bradford and Widnes could both get 10k gates with successful teams.
No chance and even if they were successful they would pay their bills.

Sorry they offer the sport nothing.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i'm in the camp that Bradford and Widnes should only be in SL if they earn promotion, as they are where they are for various reasons, and dont deserve a fast track / free pass back

i think we need to go to 14 teams, and drop the loop fixtures, but IMG have some work to do there, as the renegotiated SKY tv deal would mean less per club and thus, the current chairman of SL clubs arent going to vote to receive less "free" money

i've posted previously that for national TV / press exposure the game needs a presence in London, albeit, we all have our views on that and the relative success or failure of it previously. There is a thriving amateur game in the London area, and unfortunately i dont think we are going to benefit from it without a professional team(s) down there.

another thing i would do, is franchises but be strict on criteria, not what happened last time, and hence the state of some of the grounds of our yorkshire friends / lack of ambition in terms of marketing / running academy and reserve teams etc etc. Initially it would be a closed shop for say 3 years to give all clubs a chance to develop without the risk of relegation, but equally, if a club(s) dont meet the criteria, then they are fully aware that they are dropping out of the league, and not be able to blag like we have seen for the last 20 years or so

RU is in a state of turmoil, with their clubs going bust over the last 12 months, and sure there may be more down the line. England RU, dont know what to say about them, but i saw quite an empty Twickers at weekend, which means that they arent filling their coffers like they used to be able to do (for those that dont know, they could oversell every international 12 months in advance, and basically bank the money, and just issue a refund if you didnt get a ticket). So, can the RFL / IMG take advantage of the turmoil in RU, i'm not that confident, and most likely, we'll find a way of making the headlines, that isnt usually a positive
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Personally id be looking to reduce the number of teams rather than increase it

We simply dont have the talent for a 14 team league, we dont have the talent for a 12 team league tbf

Reduce it to 10 and remove the cap
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I don't think a 14 team league is a starter, it would mean teams getting less of the share of the money on offer at a time when it is being reduced. It is the simplest version when looking for a way to scrap the loop games, but I don't believe there is enough quality to sustain 14 teams. I think there would be at least half a dozen games that would be a no contest thus devaluing the standard of the SUPER league.

A ten team SUPER league could be a better option, it would mean playing each team three times If Wigan play Saints at home twice in the first season, the following season they would play them away twice. There would be no easy games with this method. If there is promotion/relegation the promoted team would take up the relegated team rota. Worth a consideration, we need to do something to up the standards and appeal.

I would like to see super league teams enter the challenge cup one round earlier to give the lower league/amateur teams a better opportunity of a pay day. it's a closed shop at the moment in favour of super league teams.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I don't think there's been a problem with "standards" this season. 12 teams seems fine right now. Fix long term standards by forcing all teams to run a full academy and therell be enough players
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:50 pm I don't think there's been a problem with "standards" this season. 12 teams seems fine right now. Fix long term standards by forcing all teams to run a full academy and therell be enough players
10th placed Hull FC are14 points from 1st place

11th Placed Cas are 10 points from 10th

even if you put the points Cas and Wakey have earnt together they would still be bottom of the league

to me superleague has enough talent to support 10 good teams
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure