Jake Wardle the reluctant hero in Wigan Warriors Super League Grand Final triumph

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jake Wardle the reluctant hero in Wigan Warriors Super League Grand Final triumph

Post by josie andrews »

JAKE WARDLE isn’t a player who is likely to talk the hind legs off a donkey.

Naturally laconic, he appears reluctant to talk about himself, instead allowing his performance on the field to do his talking for him.

But on Saturday he had to face the assembled media at Old Trafford after the game, alongside his coach Matty Peet and his captain Liam Farrell, having just edged out his team-mate Harry Smith by 15 votes to 14 for the Harry Sunderland Trophy.

Although the eyes of many Wigan supporters are inevitably drawn to their two speedsters Bevan French and Jai Field, the left-wing partnership of Wardle and Liam Marshall is just as effective, as both players showed on Saturday, with Wardle looking threatening whenever he had the ball and Marshall scoring the crucial try that gave Wigan a second-half lead that they would never relinquish.

“It’s a really proud moment for me and my family,” said Wardle.

“I just feel really grateful to Wigan and to Matty for giving me the opportunity to come to this club and to be able to play in games like that.”

On the basis of his performance in the Grand Final, Wardle must surely be in with a great chance of gaining England selection for the forthcoming Test series against Tonga, which begins at St Helens on Sunday.

“I’ve just been concentrating on Wigan and I’m sure the next few weeks will take care of themselves,” he said.

And you might say in for a penny, in for a pound, with an England left-wing partnership of Wardle and Marshall being an obvious choice for England coach Shaun Wane, despite Catalans’ left winger Tom Johnstone also having a strong game in the Grand Final.

“Obviously I would love to be involved myself. And if I’m selected, I would want Liam to be involved as well. But there are a lot of other contenders, so I’m happy to leave that to Shaun to decide who he will select,” added Wardle, whose career has been massively revived since he came to Wigan from Huddersfield prior to the start of the season. Is this the best move of his career so far?

“I think it is,” he admitted to me.

“The past couple of years have been very inconsistent for me. So for me to come to Wigan and have a fresh start and find my feet, I’m just really grateful for the opportunity that the club and Matty presented me with.

“I’m really enjoying my time here.”

Of course this is only the second year that the Wigan coach has been in charge of the club and he has now won all three major trophies during that tenure.

Peet is thoughtful and meticulous in his preparation, while he clearly seems to carry the Wigan club and everything it stands for in his heart.

“I think that is probably why he has done as well as he has over the last two years,” said Wardle.

“He is a really good bloke and he cares. He has a lot of trust from his players and that comes down to his caring attitude.

“The team unity is down to the culture and the sense of togetherness that the coaching team has created. We are all just a big group of mates. There are no egos and everyone is really humble. And I think that shows, for example, when people come in to watch us training. They just see how close the whole team is.

“I remember saying after my first week at the club that I already felt like I’d been here a lot longer. That’s credit to the boys for making me feel as welcome as they did.

“So it helps that we’re a group of mates. That makes it really easy for me and Marshy to gain an understanding of how each of us plays. It didn’t take long for us to start finding our rhythm and it’s paid off on the big stage.”

Altogether there were 39 votes for the Harry Sunderland Trophy, all for Wigan players. They were as follows: Jake Wardle 15, Harry Smith 14, Jai Field 4, Liam Marshall 3, Bevan French 2, Liam Farrell 1.

https://www.totalrl.com/jake-wardle-the ... l-triumph/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Jake Wardle the reluctant hero in Wigan Warriors Super League Grand Final triumph

Post by Mike »

“Obviously I would love to be involved myself. And if I’m selected, I would want Liam to be involved as well. But there are a lot of other contenders, so I’m happy to leave that to Shaun to decide who he will select,”
I thought Wane said he was injured and that's why he's not selected?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Re: Jake Wardle the reluctant hero in Wigan Warriors Super League Grand Final triumph

Post by josie andrews »

Think this interview was done straight after the GF
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

What a season, what a signing and what the hell were Huddersfield thinking?! He’s been absolutely unbelievable for us and has been getting better and better as the year has gone on.

I love his personality, it’s different and makes me warm to the lad. Everyone’s doesn’t have to be bouncing around, acting the goat and laughing their head off to be a good person or to show they’re enjoying themselves. He seems shy and to have a guy as talented as that show them traits is refreshing in a way. I read some Saints fans discussing how miserable he looked in winning the Harry Sunderland and the GF but he was anything but I’m sure. He doesn’t crave the limelight and he seems embarrassed to accept praise. I think he’s found the right club and the right coach to accept him for who he is and to ensure he feels at home.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:06 pm What a season, what a signing and what the hell were Huddersfield thinking?! He’s been absolutely unbelievable for us and has been getting better and better as the year has gone on.

I love his personality, it’s different and makes me warm to the lad. Everyone’s doesn’t have to be bouncing around, acting the goat and laughing their head off to be a good person or to show they’re enjoying themselves. He seems shy and to have a guy as talented as that show them traits is refreshing in a way. I read some Saints fans discussing how miserable he looked in winning the Harry Sunderland and the GF but he was anything but I’m sure. He doesn’t crave the limelight and he seems embarrassed to accept praise. I think he’s found the right club and the right coach to accept him for who he is and to ensure he feels at home.
Jake Wardle leaving Huddersfield speaks volumes about Watson . With Watson it's all about him and his big mouth.
Jake comes to Wigan where its all about club culture and playing as a team and bingo . No individuals just the club as a unit . The way Matty Peet runs the team and knows how to bring out the best in players is down to his demeanour as a coach and more importantly a person

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Jake reminds me off George Carmont; doesn’t seem to like or crave the limelight and is more than happy to show his quality on the pitch.

Biggest compliment I can pay Jake is how disjointed we have looked on the left for the few games he missed.
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

Good call.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:06 pm What a season, what a signing and what the hell were Huddersfield thinking?! He’s been absolutely unbelievable for us and has been getting better and better as the year has gone on.

He seems very modest, that’s what. those Saints fans do not get. And yes, what the hell were Huddersfield thinking. Their loss our gain.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Pretty much like an inform Gildart but for me better just stronger.

Brilliant signing for me. It’s been a few years in waiting since 2018 but I think Wigan are the big boys for a while 🙏
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Brennox7 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:41 pm Pretty much like an inform Gildart but for me better just stronger.

Brilliant signing for me. It’s been a few years in waiting since 2018 but I think Wigan are the big boys for a while 🙏
You’ll have Meds spitting feathers. 😂