Denis Betts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adrenalinxx

Denis Betts

Post by adrenalinxx »

According to the BBC website Denis Betts has become the Gloucester skills and development coach. I don't it will be to long before he get dilutions of grandeur again and wants to be head coach there too.
Martin Taylor

Re: Denis Betts

Post by Martin Taylor »

Dennis would be better to learn his trade first before he stumbles. I thought the assistant coach job at Wigan with the chance to coach his own emerging Wigan side, was a very fair and realistic offer made by the club. He obviously thought he was ablove that! He needs to learn how to walk before he can run.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Isn't it ironic that he has accepted a position at Gloucester that is roughly equivalent to Farrar's at Wigan, when Betts was offered a higher postion of assistent to Millward?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot (no Andy Farrell jokes, please).

Dave
Portsmouth Warrior

Post by Portsmouth Warrior »

Common Sense and Pride don't always go hand in hand.

Don't slag Denis off. He has been a brilliant servant to Wigan. I am quite sure his decison wasn't an easy one made lightly. We have already seen that Millward likes his own people around him and Denis was far from being one of those.
Pies are nice, and so are mice !!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Of course it's an exciting new challenge for him, he's basically been demoted from Wigan coach to give the job to the ex Saints coach. All reputations aside, I'd been offended!!
Just like Andy Farrell, I didn't want to see Betts go but it was inevitable when Milly came that Betts would want to go.
Maybe he enjoyed his time as coach but being put back a pace has made him want a bit more.
Good luck to him, he's a Wigan legend and always will be just like that Faz guy not that I'm still bitter about that one.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:conf: Well I think I am right in saying Dean Ryan is head coach at Gloucester. If he is then Dennis is working with one of the most pig headed, argumentive, unlightened dark age rugby coaches to grace the planet.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrsLam posted:
Of course it's an exciting new challenge for him, he's basically been demoted from Wigan coach to give the job to the ex Saints coach.
He never actually had the job of head coach in the first place. He was acting head coach.
All reputations aside, I'd been offended!!
I suppose if you had convinced yourself you were the head coach despite it being plainly obvious you were not, you might feel that way.
Just like Andy Farrell, I didn't want to see Betts go but it was inevitable when Milly came that Betts would want to go.
Maybe he enjoyed his time as coach but being put back a pace has made him want a bit more.
Betts didn't need to leave. His reaction to being asked to coach the U21 side was not justified by anything he did while acting head coach.

His replacement has accepted it as part of his job description and he has been coaching longer than Betts.
Good luck to him, he's a Wigan legend and always will be just like that Faz guy not that I'm still bitter about that one.
I always liked Betts as a player. Gave me some great memories with his performances for Wigan, especially his first stint at the club but as a coach he is the classic case of the old adage that great players don't necessarily make great coaches.

You could argue he didn't have much time to prove otherwise but that is his own fault for resigning.

Dave
El Rifle

Post by El Rifle »

Would you welcome him back as coach? seriously? I know i wouldnt. I dont rate him as a coach whatsoever, yes there were many factors in our poor run with him in charge, but he nearly got us relegated for god sake! however he can come for a cup of tea and slice of cake no worries
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

El Rifle posted:
Would you welcome him back as coach? seriously? I know i wouldnt. I dont rate him as a coach whatsoever, yes there were many factors in our poor run with him in charge, but he nearly got us relegated for god sake! however he can come for a cup of tea and slice of cake no worries
My thoughts exactly. Great player, poor coach.

Dave
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

DaveO posted:
He never actually had the job of head coach in the first place. He was acting head coach.
All reputations aside, I'd been offended!!
I suppose if you had convinced yourself you were the head coach despite it being plainly obvious you were not, you might feel that way.
Betts didn't need to leave. His reaction to being asked to coach the U21 side was not justified by anything he did while acting head coach.
His replacement has accepted it as part of his job description and he has been coaching longer than Betts.
I always liked Betts as a player. Gave me some great memories with his performances for Wigan, especially his first stint at the club but as a coach he is the classic case of the old adage that great players don't necessarily make great coaches.
You could argue he didn't have much time to prove otherwise but that is his own fault for resigning.

Dave
I think he did have enough time considering the season we were having. We didn't get hammered by Saints mind but we were aiming for hammerings from the likes of Leigh with the way we were going. There was no real creative sparks whilst he was in charge and the club wasn't really going in any direction (other than dowwwwwnnnn) It's a shame he's felt the need to leave after so long at the club, I can see why on a personal level he may not want to stay but on a professional level it doesn't make sense.
He would have been working alongside the best coach in superleague, learning from him and he hadn't actually been sacked so it shouldn't have been an embarassing situation for him.
He had a very difficult job and was put in a very awkward position taking over from a good friend who had fallen very ill, at his life long hometown club. He wasn't ready for it at all.

I wasn't exactly 'chuffed' with the decision to employ Milly but the siuation looked like it would work well with Betts still at the club and with a bit more experience behind him (whether it was good or bad) It's looking like an exciting season for us, hopefully am not jinxing us there, just a shame he's not going to be with us for it. I think he may well regret leaving come September/October.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!