Re: Varsity Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
superleague

Post by superleague »

aye a bit one sided.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Poor standard. They do far better showing academy games like they used to or Powergen Schools Finals
Welski

Post by Welski »

In this day and age it's heartening to see there is still room for the occasional fat bloke in 'top level' sport. (Cambridge Full back)
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
the_cow

Post by the_cow »

What was the score as cant seem to find it anywhere?

It doesnt surprise me that it was a poor standard as Camberidge dont even have a team that plays in one of the BUSA (British Universities Sports Assocation-i think) leagues, so they poach a load of union players for the game. The Oxford rl team regularly gets hammered so isnt very good either- though i heard Oxford were offering sponsorships on post-grad courses to good players at other uni's to try to improve their team. What must the ra-ra loving aristocracy make of that?

I know a few lads from the Loughborough Uni RL team and they get quite angry that the only advert for student RL is the varsity game.

Generally the quality of student RL is not the best but the best uni teams (Leeds Met, Loughborough, UWIC and St.Marys college (essex)) are on a par with Division 2 of the amateur 'conference'. Loughborough beat Heworth in the prelims of the Challenge Cup last year, but then were outclassed by Oldham St. Annes in the next round.

I went to the BUSA final at London Scholars last year and was shocked by the speed of the game- its like watching superleague in slow mo, but then i think that i was just spoilt because of seeing superleague live. There are a few good players kicking around though and some go on to play at a reasonable level.
NOBLE OUT PLEASE- YOU'VE HAD TIME AND NOW MY PATIENCE HAS RUN OUT!

IT'S ONE THING TO LOSE, IT'S ANOTHER TO PLAY DIRE AND BORING RL AND THEN LOSE!
mr g

Post by mr g »

Cambridge won 44 - 0.
"Rugby League is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nkers"
Former Australian captain Laurie Daley