New Coach...Who Do You Want?...suggestion thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
primrose-n-blue

New Coach...Who Do You Want?...suggestion thread

Post by primrose-n-blue »

As the fans of Wigan Warriors RL, who do you want as your new coach?

As I see it, there would be two front runners.

I would say that John Pendlebury having already excepted a job at Wigan, it could be a formality.

The other would be Shaun Edwards who by a strange quirk of fate just so happened to see his team, Wasps, win the Powergen Cup on the same day as Millward's fate was unofficially sealed...Hmmm?

Personally my heart says Pendlebury, this guy was truly one of my all-time favorite players. He has such an influence on me as a kid even though he never was a Wire. I would even go as so far to say that I would watch Wigan as a second team and I could never wish a loss on a Warriors team with him in charge.

My head on the other hand says Shaun Edwards....He's been nothing but a winner from the day he signed for Murphy as a kid. A no-nonsense disciplinarian who would demand nothing but effort..something that hasn't been in abundance in the last couple of seasons at the Pie Dome.
I would be happy if Edwards did get the job as a man who turned down offers to play and coach the Wire I would feel content in wanting Wigan to lose every match and get relegated as is every Wire's prerogative....Bit of a contrast isn't it?
damien morrissey

Re: New Coach...Who Do You Wan...

Post by damien morrissey »

primrose-n-blue posted:
As the fans of Wigan Warriors RL, who do you want as your new coach?

As I see it, there would be two front runners.

I would say that John Pendlebury having already excepted a job at Wigan, it could be a formality.

The other would be Shaun Edwards who by a strange quirk of fate just so happened to see his team, Wasps, win the Powergen Cup on the same day as Millward's fate was unofficially sealed...Hmmm?

Personally my heart says Pendlebury, this guy was truly one of my all-time favorite players. He has such an influence on me as a kid even though he never was a Wire. I would even go as so far to say that I would watch Wigan as a second team and I could never wish a loss on a Warriors team with him in charge.

My head on the other hand says Shaun Edwards....He's been nothing but a winner from the day he signed for Murphy as a kid. A no-nonsense disciplinarian who would demand nothing but effort..something that hasn't been in abundance in the last couple of seasons at the Pie Dome.
I would be happy if Edwards did get the job as a man who turned down offers to play and coach the Wire I would feel content in wanting Wigan to lose every match and get relegated as is every Wire's prerogative....Bit of a contrast isn't it?
Pendlebury at least till the end of the season i could not accept Farrar as a replacement for the departed Millward. then Laing when he finishes his current role he would have contacts in NRL he has won the NRL GF with a decent side and we wouldnt have to pay to release him his contract. As per usual it is all ifs and buts at the moment.
Sean Edwards i would love to see at the club again but lets be realistic with lyndsay in charge and Wasps winning the Powergen cup with him taking many accolades it isnt going to happen.
ian.birchall

Re: New Coach...Who Do You Wan...

Post by ian.birchall »

[quote]primrose-n-blue posted:

as a man who turned down offers to play and coach the Wire quote]

This you primrose n' blue? Lets compromise, we both wanted Edwards and when we couldn't have him we both wanted Pendlebury. Lets go for the dream team, Edwards in charge with John Pendlebury as assistant coach
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
damien morrissey

Re: New Coach...Who Do You...

PorterjohLam posted:
Well...see name and picture basically.

He's a passion for the club. Could bring best out of Moran and a lot of the players. Knows almost all of them. Class player = class coach generally. Great Rugby brain.

Adrian Lam is the man.
I agree with most of this but is Lammy experienced enough to dig us out of the hole we are in at the moment.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

damien morrissey posted:
PorterjohLam posted:
Well...see name and picture basically.

He's a passion for the club. Could bring best out of Moran and a lot of the players. Knows almost all of them. Class player = class coach generally. Great Rugby brain.

Adrian Lam is the man.
I agree with most of this but is Lammy experienced enough to dig us out of the hole we are in at the moment.
mmmm i agree. lammy i would have as an assistant coach behind someone who has great rugby knowledge and has a passion for the game. i think appointing lammy as ehad coach wouldn't solve anything. he hasn't really had much experience at coaching level and is the assistant at cronulla i think. id quite happily have him back but only as the second man as i think he will work with players better in this position. i think he could also bring out the best in the halfbacks.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

precisely. a man who ahs coached wigan in the past and is very passionate about the sport as is adrian. i wouldnt mind seeing them both at 1 and 2 respectively. we deffinately need someone who knows wigan as a team. edwards, monie, hanley people like that and lammy. lam would really work with the players. i believe he got the best from robinson when he was here (luke not jason obviously). young luke i think learnt and picked up from lam when he was playing. he has that spark and communication with the rest of the team.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
damien morrissey

PorterjohLam posted:
How about Lam if he doesn't get appointed Head Coach behind say someone like ermmm

John Monie?
Again would agree with you but in relity him and MO would never happen the same as Edwards and MO.

the new coach would have to be a complete outsider to the club without any Wigan history.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

PorterjohLam posted:
How about Lam if he doesn't get appointed Head Coach behind say someone like ermmm

John Monie?
Monie is probably an outside bet. Whilst I would love to see him back, I don't think he would come due to how he has been treated in the past.

I'll be happy with any of the 3 front runners (as per BBC ttxt)
Chris Anderson
Lam
Edwards.

Edwards did not comment when asked, but as coach of Wasps, he's not exactly going to turn around and say yes he wants to come back home.
come on Mo, dig deep and get us what we want
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

damien morrissey posted:
Personally I'm not sure Lam has the experience either.
We have had an experienced coach - Endacott, then an up-and-comer - Raper, then two inexperienced coaches in Greg and Betts, followed by a proven top line performer in IM. None of these were given time to get through a bad spell and we have gone from 2nd after the first sacking to last after the latest sacking.

The board must be incompetent to have taken on all these people from different levels of the coaching spectrum and not had enough faith in any of their descisions to see it through.

The men in charge must appoint a coach that they will allow to oversee a period of stability that Wigan badly need. Surely, this can only be an experienced, proven and steday coach like Chris Anderson?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
damien morrissey

FROM A TO B posted:
PorterjohLam posted:

John Monie?
Monie is probably an outside bet. Whilst I would love to see him back, I don't think he would come due to how he has been treated in the past.

I'll be happy with any of the 3 front runners (as per BBC ttxt)
Chris Anderson
Lam
Edwards.

Edwards did not comment when asked, but as coach of Wasps, he's not exactly going to turn around and say yes he wants to come back home.
come on Mo, dig deep and get us what we want
Is Edwards head coach of Wasps now the last i heard he was the attacking coach. If thats true he must be definatly ruled out. :(