Paul Johnson - Fallen through

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Cath10

Paul Johnson - Fallen through

Post by Cath10 »

Don't know all the details but my dad has just told me that it says on teletext that Wigan made a bid to bring Paul Johnson back to the JJB ASAP, however after consideration Bradford have decided not to release him.

ChrisA

Re: Paul Johnson - Fallen thro...

Post by ChrisA »

Yeah I read it on one of the local Braford sites, he's out of contract at the end of the year. However we wanted him sooner than that, Bradford wern't interested, suprisngly.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... n_told.php

*Edit, it's just come up on skysports too

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/arti ... 99,00.html
ancientnloyal

Re: Paul Johnson - Fallen ...

Post by ancientnloyal »

I was expecting that tbh. do we need him though?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dunno after a hugegly succesful tri-nations he has looked a very good solid player which would be good for us. Although even though when the deal was anounced it was met by cringes Jordan James has been good for us so far, he has a better strike rate than players who are supposed to be "a league apart" from him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
boovey2006

Post by boovey2006 »

he is a outstanding talent thank you to you for giving us him he will not go back to you hopefully. he is a great player
Boov-e
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He is a quality player but more important in this era he is very versatile. You cannot blame Bradford but I do fear (for them) they will lose him at the end of the season. However, they cannot really do anything other than resist such offers as it would have a huge detrimental impact on playing matters but more importantly their supporters.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

cpwigan posted:
He is a quality player but more important in this era he is very versatile. You cannot blame Bradford but I do fear (for them) they will lose him at the end of the season. However, they cannot really do anything other than resist such offers as it would have a huge detrimental impact on playing matters but more importantly their supporters.
Who can we realistically get at this stage of the season? No club will release players to help us out and we can only afford so much if the transfer/release fee is included in the salary cap.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

damien morrissey posted:
cpwigan posted:
He is a quality player but more important in this Who can we realistically get at this stage of the season? No club will release players to help us out and we can only afford so much if the transfer/release fee is included in the salary cap.
Transfer fees aren't included in the cap, although paying off existing contracts is.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

it,s time inflation was taken into account where the cap is concerned and up the total and make it a 20/25
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

waterside glens posted:
it,s time inflation was taken into account where the cap is concerned and up the total and make it a 20/25
Inflation is taken into account with the salary cap.
1 The Salary Cap finite level in 2004 was £1.8m
2 This was reduced to £1.7m for 2005 following an SLE meeting on May 26th 2004.
3 After this it was to be index linked and consequently it will be £1.75m in 2006.
The above quoted text is from Steve Williams the RFL Club Accountanti n an email to me when I asked about this a while back.

Dave