Rumour

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Rumour

Post by ChrisA »

A rumour has been posted that a few people seem to have heard.
The rumour is that the RFL are thinking of turning the Super League into a 14 team competition.

A few points though about this

1. I for one have been calling for this for years, it creates a very balanced league, by that I mean every team play every other twice, and twice only. It's the same for every team, one home and one away fixture, it creates a level playing field. The current 12 teams would stay in the league, and two teams would be promoted from NL1.

2. If this is true, is it because the RFL beleive it's for the good of the game ? or is it because they know that having Wigan in SL is even better for the game ?

Discuss
First Try Tickle

Re: Rumour

Post by First Try Tickle »

I have heard this as well, and it is something I agree with even if we dont finish bottom.

But if we do and don't go down, then we would never live it down.

If we finish bottom this year then we should go down and 3 come up.

Unless Catalans finish bottom then i belive we should stay up with 2 div1 teams.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

ChrisA posted:
A rumour has been posted that a few people seem to have heard.
The rumour is that the RFL are thinking of turning the Super League into a 14 team competition.

A few points though about this

1. I for one have been calling for this for years, it creates a very balanced league, by that I mean every team play every other twice, and twice only. It's the same for every team, one home and one away fixture, it creates a level playing field. The current 12 teams would stay in the league, and two teams would be promoted from NL1.

2. If this is true, is it because the RFL beleive it's for the good of the game ? or is it because they know that having Wigan in SL is even better for the game ?

Discuss
This is all part of RFLs plan to scrap relegation, there will be 14 teams in the Super League when they scrap relegation and promotion but this only come into effect in 2009... I think.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle posted:
But if we do and don't go down, then we would never live it down.
Huddersfield seem to manage OK having not been relegated when finishing bottom.
If we finish bottom this year then we should go down and 3 come up.
You probably won't find three teams in NL1 who want to come up never mind can afford it or have the infrastructure to support themselves in SL.

I also doubt the RFL would want to leave who came up and went down to the outcome of the NL1 playoffs in case the "wrong" team won it.

None down and the two finalists of the Nl1 GF (if they meet the criteria....) is the easiest way to organise it never mind if we finish bottom or not.

Dave
Kat

Post by Kat »

I really want us to have a 14 team league, and have for ages!! I think it's the best way tbh!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

this is something i am keen on happening sooner than later, it will add more variety to the game also extra revenue for the clubs, it will also enabl us to have a top 8 instead of six, with 8 we could have a fairer play off system the same as they have in the challenge cup 8 teams knockout football all the way to the final game no second chances or a week off, you get a trophy for finishing first in the league that is reward enough
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke posted:
it will also enabl us to have a top 8 instead of six, with 8 we could have a fairer play off system the same as they have in the challenge cup 8 teams knockout football all the way to the final game no second chances or a week off,
The whole point of the playoffs is to give the teams who finish higher a better chance of winning it.

The best playoff system to do that was the first one introduced when it was a top 5 playoff system, not top 6.

That system meant each team got a reward for finishing higher up.

Round 1

Minor Premiers have a week off.

Game 1. 4th placed got an advantage of home tie v 5th. Sudden death to loser.

Game 2. 2nd v 3rd, 2nd gets home advantage but which ever loses they get another go v the winner of 4th v 5th. So both teams gain something over the 4th & 5th placed sides by finishing higher - home advantage and/or another chance.

Round 2

Game 3. Winner Game 2 plays minor premiers. Winner to grand final. Loser gets another chance.

Game 4. Loser Game 2 plays winner Game 1. Loser eliminated.

Round 3

Winner game 3 gets a week off.

Game 5. Loser game 3 plays winner game 4. Winner to GF.

Round 4

This is the grand final. Winner Game 3 plays winner game 5.

It may sound complex but there is a kind of logic to it all as it tries to ensure the teams finishing highest reach the final and yet it prolongs the season.

With the current top six playoffs there is no second chance for anyone in round 1 and teams finishing 1st & 2nd both get a week off.

So all you get for finishing 3rd as opposed to 6th is home advantage in round 1.

If we go to 14 teams there is a better way than either of these systems to decide the champions given each team plays each other once home & away. The team finishing top of the league are the champions. A top 8 playoff would reduce it to a cup competition and winners of cup competitions are often not necessarily the best side over a year.

Dave

primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

ChrisA posted:

The rumour, RFL are thinking of turning the Super League into a 14 team competition.
I posted a msg about this very same matter about over a year ago and got a blast of abuse from all of you.

I said that the reason for a 13 team league was because at the beginning of SL, Wigan were in trouble with huge debts following their exit from the challenge cup under Graham West.
Repeated CC finals supported Wigan's full-time wage bill.

Wigan began the new SL either going bust or selling all their stars and face relegation(and later, Central Park). I heard the story that the 13 team league was divised at that time so it would be a back door of keeping Wigan in the a league that all journalist said could not survive without them.

Now you were all eager to slag me off when I wrote this thread, but are you now beginning to see that there was an underlying reason for why the SL should be divised with the 13 team league.
Just ask yourself the question why?

I know about the poor excuse of the teams wanting a bigger share of the sky monies with one less team. I can blow holes in that too.

Trust me...the 13 team league was there to save Wigan and will....If it doesn't I will run naked around the JJB.
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

medlocke posted:
it will also enabl us to have a top 8 instead of six, with 8 we could have a fairer play off system
We already had a top 8 play-off before SL...It was called the Premiership and it worked.
The Premiership trophy was hi-jacked by Lynsey along with all the other now defunct prestige cups because he thinks that whilst Wigan were the last team to win them, Wigan have some kind of divine right to keep them in there trophy cabinet.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i have supported the idea of a 14 team league for a while it would let gb have better prep, for the tri nations.