captaincy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jeff purcell

captaincy

Post by jeff purcell »

who thinks brian fletcher should be captain & why? :devi:
Wigan Watcher

Re: captaincy

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I struggle to find a player who is worthy of the captaincy.

Fletcher 100% NO!!!

BUZZ337

Post by BUZZ337 »

I think he should be captain because he is older , wiser, has far more experience and has more leadership (at present)than Sean.

I also think that if Sean O'L is to reach to lofty heights that we as fans expect from him then he has to consentrate on his own game and not have the pressure of captaincy hanging around his neck.I wonder how many phone calls he has made to FAZ and vice versa in recent times.Perhaps he will never be captain material, just because he has the potential to be a Great doesn't mean he has to be a leader.

I'm sure we'll have the same captaincy argument next year when Trent B arrives.
Big D.

Post by Big D. »

BUZZ337 posted:
I think he should be captain because he is older , wiser, has far more experience and has more leadership (at present)than Sean.

I also think that if Sean O'L is to reach to lofty heights that we as fans expect from him then he has to consentrate on his own game and not have the pressure of captaincy hanging around his neck.I wonder how many phone calls he has made to FAZ and vice versa in recent times.Perhaps he will never be captain material, just because he has the potential to be a Great doesn't mean he has to be a leader.

I'm sure we'll have the same captaincy argument next year when Trent B arrives.
Broached this very subject myself last week, I agree entirely about Sean and I believe he would be a better player without the captaincy.

Trent next season as Captain, or give Fletcher, or even Orr a go prior to that.
UnsungPanapa

Post by UnsungPanapa »

I think people ar putting to much emphasis on the state of the captaincy there's different ways to captain a side you don't need to be shouting and bawling at everyone every two minutes its sometimes can be in the example you set and against cas lockers set a great example in defence, theres many super league captain that have been a releative quiet man and they've won trophys just look up the road and at the Bulls not including Swain at Hull.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Why do we have a thread saying the same things every week??
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

Orr would be better than lockers he still is shouting out orders although he isn't the captain. he play's his heart out but isn't quite up to scratch. i would have fletch at captain because of his experience but if he doesn't want it then i would give the band to orr or higham and even tickle above lockers at the moment
To be the best
you have to beat the best
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
gotta be fletch, he's mature, experienced a good player and used to captaincy. wasn't he the captain at his last club?
Yes and was sacked for disgracing his position.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Doveoverdave posted:
The_Bad_Guy posted:
gotta be fletch, he's mature, experienced a good player and used to captaincy. wasn't he the captain at his last club?
Yes and was sacked for disgracing his position.
Pretty much like Peter Mandleson, im sure he was a captain at some point... or was he a builder?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

UnsungPanapa posted:
I think people ar putting to much emphasis on the state of the captaincy there's different ways to captain a side you don't need to be shouting and bawling at everyone every two minutes
Nice theory but I am afriad that is exactly the kind of captaincy this side needs at the moment.

Did you not see how lathargic the team looked as it ambled around the pitch on Friday? Walking to set the scrums etc? It needs a bomb up its collective backside and if Lockers is not the sort of captain that is going to give it, then he is the wrong man for the job.
its sometimes can be in the example you set and against cas lockers set a great example in defence, theres many super league captain that have been a releative quiet man and they've won trophys just look up the road and at the Bulls not including Swain at Hull.
I'd be more convinced of this argument if you could name me a quiet captain who captained his side from our sort of position to safty rather than using examples of quiet men in successful sides.

There is a big difference.

Do you think Faz would be leading by exampe only in our situation? He'd be leading by example AND giving out the orders in no uncertain terms.

Lockers needs to do both as well in my opinion or step aside for someone who can.

Dave