letting english talent go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
- psycho -

letting english talent go

Post by - psycho - »

over the years, fantastic players have left to join australian teams. the likes of adrian morley, brian carney, richie mathers and soon, possibly stuart fielden. players like this we need to be keeping in the super league. in the future even more will follow and i would call chev walker stupid if he doesnt follow mathers down under and join melbourne storm (that is if a contract is forced in his face). now, when we bring aussies over, alot of people say that they dont live up to expectations eg jerry seu seu, vaealiki, just two off the top of my head. there will be more at other clubs who have failed to perform. so why when our players go to aus turn into world beaters? i havent heard any complaints about mr.carney so far and morley's reputation is huge over there. i think we need to start thinknig about keeping the talent we have, using it and expanding it. this would be better for our game, would it not? us letting players go is only strengthening the reputattion of NRL and decreasing the interest of the super league.

we may even do better in competitions like the try nations. if we used home gorwn talent rather than aussies/kiwis week in week out then surely we would adapt into a very strong GB team. now we play aussies and kiwis and when it comes to the try nations, they are running over us. as well as thinking about the quality of players ath clubs, i think we need to consider our international position. we cant use players like shontayne hape at centre for us, nor can we use feka at prop, we have to stick to the crop of players we already have which i think is what we should start doing more in the super league.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Wigan Watcher

Re: letting english talent go

Post by Wigan Watcher »

I believe that there are two sides to this argument. I think we need to use our own guys more and limit all teams to one over seas player. I know this will not happen but I still think it is the correct way to go. In Australia they are not limited to the number of over seas players like we are but still seem to govern themselves by backing there own players.

Just look at the players we have recently signed. A waste of time! Look at Hodgson at Salford now he is setting the place alight, but again this has nothing to do with Lindsay!!!!!

mike binder

Re: letting english talent go

Post by mike binder »

- psycho - posted:
over the years, fantastic players have left to join australian teams. the likes of adrian morley, brian carney, richie mathers and soon, possibly stuart fielden. players like this we need to be keeping in the super league. in the future even more will follow and i would call chev walker stupid if he doesnt follow mathers down under and join melbourne storm (that is if a contract is forced in his face). now, when we bring aussies over, alot of people say that they dont live up to expectations eg jerry seu seu, vaealiki, just two off the top of my head. there will be more at other clubs who have failed to perform. so why when our players go to aus turn into world beaters? i havent heard any complaints about mr.carney so far and morley's reputation is huge over there. i think we need to start thinknig about keeping the talent we have, using it and expanding it. this would be better for our game, would it not? us letting players go is only strengthening the reputattion of NRL and decreasing the interest of the super league.

we may even do better in competitions like the try nations. if we used home gorwn talent rather than aussies/kiwis week in week out then surely we would adapt into a very strong GB team. now we play aussies and kiwis and when it comes to the try nations, they are running over us. as well as thinking about the quality of players ath clubs, i think we need to consider our international position. we cant use players like shontayne hape at centre for us, nor can we use feka at prop, we have to stick to the crop of players we already have which i think is what we should start doing more in the super league.
think the 2 you mention in this would be upset at you calling them aussies ,its like calling you a scoucer the pair of them are new zealand natives :lol: but i get your point :sly:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
moffsta

Re: letting english talent...

Post by moffsta »

mike binder posted:
- psycho - posted:

think the 2 you mention in this would be upset at you calling them aussies ,its like calling you a scoucer the pair of them are new zealand natives :lol: but i get your point :sly:
you beat me to it mate :angry: lol
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

haha fast typing that is. some playign in aus is a good thing to though. like morley, when it coems to the try nations, he is just as good as the opposing aussie forwards because he plays along side them.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

- psycho - posted:
haha fast typing that is. some playign in aus is a good thing to though. like morley, when it coems to the try nations, he is just as good as the opposing aussie forwards because he plays along side them.
i can't really see it doing our GB players any harm like you say. they're gonna be used to facing these guys week in week out after playing out there
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Surely it is better they go to Australia and improve as league players than the alternative, which is to go to Rugby Union
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The more players we have playing in the NRL the better. However, we need to encourage SL teams to develop British players too. I believe the Salary Cap discourages tjhe development of young talent. It leaves little scope to all funds to be used to pay players to develop into top class players. Far easier to pay for an immediate fix in the form of an overseas player or by sniping from another club.
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

DaiJones posted:
Surely it is better they go to Australia and improve as league players than the alternative, which is to go to Rugby Union
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT DAI!!!! we don't use that kinda language on ere :lol:
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

do you think the accadamy set up should be exempt from the sallary cap ,just the first team squads and senior acc players and the spending limit as to go up soon :lol: thus giving us all a chance to develop the young talent we all know we have except john fisher school :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME